A note to krudler
by Barney68 (2024-03-04 16:40:23)

You asked about my beliefs that might once have been GOP or conservative some days ago. I meant to answer, but the world got in the way. These answers may or may not be responsive to that question, but I’m doing my best.

1. I believe in the Constitution. It was written by some very smart, educated guys. I believe in it as it has been interpreted over the years since 1788; stare decisis. And for those who would argue that we should keep explicitly to the wording as the folks writing it meant it at the time, I offer this word of caution: the fellows who wrote the Second Amendment understood "arms" to be muzzle loaders, swords, and daggers. [Note: give me the power and "the Pledge" will be to the Constitution, not the flag.]

2. I believe in the rule of law, that we are a nation of laws and not of men. That is a very different meaning than the "law and order" trope as it has been brandished by the GOP for half a century. I'm embarrassed that I repeated it myself many times before I really understood the hypocrisy of those shouting it and the symbolism it encompasses.

3. I believe that perhaps the most important part of the Constitution and the rule of law is the peaceful transfer of power at the end of elected terms of office. Every other aspect of citizen involvement in our government depends on this; it is the rock on which our republic is built. The hypocrisy of those who call for “law and order” but refer to the January 6th rioters (I originally typed “insurrectionists” but one might argue that; that it was a riot is beyond doubt) as "hostages" or "political prisoners" or "innocent tourists" sightseeing in the Capitol Building is astounding even by politician standards.

4. I believe that, while it's not necessary to balance the budget (this is a complicated analysis), it is necessary to have a responsible approach to both deficits and to debt; they are different. Now, we have neither. Our deficits are out of control and our debt threatens the nation's financial health. There is no way to achieve a responsible approach without increasing revenue (increase taxes and collections from evaders) and reform (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid). If money is to be cut from the budget (as it should be), DoD must be cut. If anyone tells you this isn't necessary, I suggest reading the budget (https://www.govinfo.gov/app/collection/budget/2023) because you can pretty much eliminate everything else on the discretionary side and not get the job done.

5. I believe that anybody who opposes increasing the IRS enforcement budget, which would enforce existing law to significantly increase revenue, yet says that he believes in "law and order" or a “balanced budget” must be lying about something. (https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-ramps-up-new-initiatives-using-inflation-reduction-act-funding-to-ensure-complex-partnerships-large-corporations-pay-taxes-owed-continues-to-close-millionaire-tax-debt-cases)

6. I believe in free trade within the limits imposed by national security, e.g., computer chips, or predatory behavior by other governments, e.g., solar arrays. Tariffs are just taxes paid by the consumer to protect inefficient domestic industry. Adam Smith is my guy here. The world has changed since 1776, but he was right on a lot of things.

7. I'd say I believe in "small government," but that's not really possible today. Our world and economy and polity are simply too complex for a "small" government. The government that Ike ran didn't have to worry about the Internet, jets flying into buildings, bioengineering at the individual DNA strand level, cyber warfare and cyber threats, possible attacks on our space assets, the list goes on. Right size government. That's smaller than we have, but a lot bigger than Ike had, too.

8. I believe in peace through strength. Part of our place in the world is to command respect. Part of commanding respect is picking our battles and knowing what we are attempting to accomplish with them. People complain about the withdrawal from Afghanistan, I grumble about the attempt to build a liberal democracy in an area that is far from ready for it. People complain about supporting Ukraine, I see “America First” today as being just as misguided as “America First” when Lucky Lindy was saying it. At least he changed his tune when the war did arrive.

9. I believe that the government is there to govern, not to demand perfect fealty to one political agenda or another, and not to avoid solving problems because it might be eliminate a political issue as was the case a few weeks ago with the bipartisan immigration bill that had been developed in the Senate. It’s especially not there to allow Members to bend the knee to a political boss rather than do their job. The examples abound.

I could go on, but this is more than enough. Let the empties fly!

Replies: