There are a few things that beggar belief
by sprack (2024-03-02 20:42:08)
Edited on 2024-03-02 21:09:24

In reply to: Something about that poll should make people question  posted by wearendhockey

The race is tied among women?? You mean, for the first time since at least the second Reagan election there's no gender gap, and Donald Trump is the beneficiary? (For comparison, Biden won the women's vote by 11 points in the 2020 election)

23% of the black vote for Trump? A percentage that hasn't been approached for a Republican since Richard Nixon in 1960? For Donald Trump??

And if Trump is doing a better job of uniting his party, who are all these people voting for Nikki Haley?

Anyway, it's March 2. Four years and one week ago there were many people in the press, including Nate Cohn of that poll, talking about Bernie Sanders practically being a lock for the Democratic nomination. There is a long, long way to go and many trials, literally and figuratively, for the candidates.

If you're talking about the gender pay gap, yes that has
by krudler  (2024-03-03 10:56:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

been debunked multiple times (including even by left-wing outlets), and the arguments anyone has presented back here always fail to take into account the personal decisions and job choices people make. Taking average compensation between all men and all women is just about the laziest statistical methodology for this, yet the left continues to rely on this flawed analysis that a STATS 101 flunky could debunk.

If you're talking about the gap between Rs and Ds regarding female support, then I have no idea.

I am absolutely not talking about the gender pay gap
by sprack  (2024-03-03 15:42:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

In fact, it has absolutely nothing to do with this.

It's about voting results, the gap between Republican and Democratic support from women that's been there since at least 1984. This particular NYT poll seems to say it no longer exists which I, for one, think is preposterous.

Did you you read the post I was responding to?

Yes, I did. It didn't mention anything about
by krudler  (2024-03-03 18:03:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

gender, and one could reasonably assume that the lie that many on the left still believe about the gender pay gap applied to your statement about the "gender gap" in voting habits, as it's often cited as one of the reasons women vote Democrat instead of Republican. If I misread your post, apologies, your outrage is registered.

Didn't mention anything about gender?
by wearendhockey  (2024-03-03 20:26:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Sprack specifically mentioned the so-called gender gap in voting. How is that not mentioning gender?

And the gender pay gap is hardly a lie. Many on the extreme left and extreme right make misleading statements about it, but it clearly exists. Not in the sense that women doing the exact same job as men are paid substantially less all other considerations being similar, as I have heard some on the far left claim still exists, but in the sense that occupations where the workforce is primarily women are perhaps undervalued.

He asked if I read the response to which he responded,
by krudler  (2024-03-04 10:00:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

which would have been your post. And no, you didn't mention gender.

Your second paragraph is simply an opinion. What exactly does "undervalued" mean? We have a primarily capitalist system, where market forces, supply, and demand dictate the value of things. If you're asking to artificially inflate the compensation of certain occupations that has nothing to do with the gender pay gap. Nothing is preventing women from entering fields where the workforce is primarily men, and vice versa.