There’s nothing at play. It’s just basic math.
by gregmorrissey (2024-02-26 00:29:49)
Edited on 2024-02-26 01:00:22

In reply to: I understand tax vs GAAP. I passed the CPA exam.  posted by EricCartman

I’m not a Democrat or Republican, and I don’t care what decisions Washington makes. Some will work in my favor, some won’t. Life moves on. We all make the best decisions with the facts we have when making the decisions.

Fact: PPP Loan forgiveness was tax exempt income at the Federal level and in the majority of states
Fact: PPP recipients were allowed to “double dip” by claiming an expense deduction for expenses paid with PPP proceeds.
Fact: This double dip resulted in a direct owner benefit of the PPP loan amount times the recipient’s tax rate.

My problem is not the hypocrisy of the code. It’s the hypocrisy of the beneficiaries of the code. I’d just like one PPP recipient to acknowledge that they had two months of payroll and other expenses paid for by the government and the cherry on top was they were able to still deduct those expenses from income and it was fucking great. I’d like one person who was able to shield capital gains in a 529 plan to admit it was an awesome benefit that is equivalent to loan forgiveness. What is the difference between $12k not paid to the government in capital gains tax and $12k not paid to the government in loan principal? Hint: nothing.

Instead we get responses about shutdowns and breadlines and misstatements about the PPP being taxable income and terms like bailout and deadbeat. There is no doubt that many businesses suffered from the pandemic and from government policies. There is also no doubt that many businesses didn’t miss one beat in 2020 and received two months of free payroll and rent and inexplicable deductions for government-paid expenses. This incites no outrage because it was a bipartisan gift rather than an executive order? Just doesn’t make sense to me.

As I’ve said many times, I encourage everyone to get what they can from the government and to pay as little as possible in tax. I encourage CaTripleDomer to file an amended return if he did in fact include the PPP loan in his taxable income. I support business owners buying 6,000 pound SUVs for “business” use and writing off 100% of the cost in year one. I have no problem with any of this. All I ask is that the recipient acknowledge the benefit that taxes not paid to the government is the same damn thing.

Edit to add: it should be pointed out that over the last 20 years, 529 plans and other savers have benefited tremendously from government bailouts. I guess I have a hard time reconciling one form of government bailout as acceptable and another form as unacceptable.

Replies: