TV coverage is a must
by poweri (2024-04-17 10:32:39)

In reply to: Ya know, has there been another individual that has raised  posted by Jon

It’s a bit of a chicken and egg sort of phenomenon but you can tie the rise in popularity to the amount of tv time a sport gets.

Was it Magic and Bird or was it showing the NBA finals live instead of tape delayed after the 11pm news that drove NBA popularity up? Probably both.

I think I read that this year was the first year every single women’s tournament game was available on tv. I know in the past few years it’s gone from never being able to find a women’s game on tv to having a few every night.

I know I’ll probably piss off the legions of Clarkies but I think espn/tv has played a massive role in what is going on.

I also want to throw out there the fact that the NBA has had a 50 year head start on the WNBA so you could argue in terms of development and eyeballs they’re on track.

There’s no argument that TV played a huge role.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-17 10:41:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it still is. ESPN has manufactured this controversy between Clark and DT. But it’s not like they had to work that hard. DT is bitter and angry like most ex-Huskies. So it took almost no effort to get to to say something stupid.