Born a Polish Catholic in Chicago and...
by 47Bolcar (2005-11-09 01:07:26)

In reply to: The broken link: What has ND's football tradition meant to you?  posted by Board Ops

my great uncle was a priest who taught there for a short time.

Of course, waking up on Sunday mornings in Florida and watching ND highlights with Lindsey Nelson and Paul Hornung just adds to it. It was the gold helmets, the library, games that come down to the wire. The great players and how they were products and models for the university.

Lindsay Nelson & Paul Hornung were CLASSIC!
by irishfarmboy  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You went to Mass, then you came home and watched Notre Dame football replay with those guys! When I think about it, they're probably the main reason I wanted to go to Notre Dame...

With some of the classic Nelson lines...
by 47Bolcar  (2005-11-09 01:07:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To condense the game into an hour I remember showing the crowd shots and Nelson saying "Army was unable to move the ball so they punted to Notre Dame." Of course it was the classic Nelson voice that can't be recreated here. Back then, no cable no Internet and in the Miami Herald (the paper we got) there would be three grafs on the game. So it was like watching the game live, so to speak.