I really do hope Kelly can turn it around and succeed. I think he can; the turnaround after Tulsa provides a basis for some hope.
But, as Jvan said, we've been here before. Or at least, this seems rather familiar.
It's just a terrible shame that the University keeps doing things the way they do them. It's no accident that ND hired Kelly and Weis and Willingham and O'Leary and Davie. It's no accident that Kelly hired Diaco and Molnar and his other cronies. It's no accident that when Fr. Jenkins was presented with two resumes, one from Orsini, and one from Swarbrick, he picked Swarbrick.
After 15 years of this shit, it takes a toll. Listen, Chuck84 and Beijing and Jvan and Cash and ndoldtown and not negative sourpusses. They are actually all pretty fun, lighthearted people. They love ND - at least the relic of ND - as much as any other alumnus.
This constant and unrelenting death march has terrible and schismatic consequences. Whole swaths of good people on this board who grew tired of "negativity" and and "groupthink" longed for a place called hope started their own board. I also think that what Notre Dame has become is something altogether different than what it was (note to balloo - I didn't make a value judgment there). There are all sorts of schisms and factions that inhere at ND now: the administration loathes and is ashamed by a sizable chunk of alumni, who reciprocate that contempt. The administration bristles at the notion of transparency and is offended by any criticism or second-guessing from alumni. And don't try to earmark your donation either.
It's a shame that FOFM and others don't post here anymore. I have to take a lot of the blame. I can run a little hot, and that can turn people off.
I really did - and still do - wish that Kelly (or the next coach) could start winning. Nobody likes this shit. At least I can recall fondly rooting for Ara's and Devine's teams as a boy, and Lou's teams as a student and young alumnus. Where does my 10 year old nephew go to get his fond memories of ND? Where do the young alumni and current students go?
If there is an enemy, it is the culture of the leadership structure at ND. Not some pollyanna like FLD or misanthrope like yours truly.
- nice post * - sdalenberg 2011-09-14 10:37:10
- Thanks; I think a lot of us needed that. * - McQueen 2011-09-14 10:37:10
- I've always disliked your style... - baloo88 2011-09-14 10:37:10
- I think its been longer than 15 years - jmabc 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Very well said. - OGerry 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- I agree: what on earth? - ndtnguy 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Helluva post sir...well done. * - IrishInVa 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- You make a contribution when writing in this vein. - PWK2 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- After my grandson asked me: "did ND lose AGAIN?" - BIG MAC 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- A refreshing read, for a change. * - Marble Rye 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- This reminds me of BI's post - SEE 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- This post troubles me. - AFA91 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Apathy is a terrible thing,but we are staring it in the face - knutesteen 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Amen! * - OldIrishFan 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Proud to be your classmate. Nice post, Andy. - John88 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- I agree with every single thing you just said. - sebastionmerckx 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Wow. Well said. * - fasted68 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- As my B13 and I were watching another farce Sunday, - cincysubdomer 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- First your house paint question in the BR now this. - RandalGraves 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Very, very well-said. * - Milhouse 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Excellent stuff... - Marine Domer 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- It's also no accident that they ran off Holtz... - Bacchus 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- The best post of yours I've ever read * - Barney68 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- I think marriage has mellowed you ACross. Great post. * - irishhawk49 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- My freshman year was 2006 - Mark_It_Zero 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Good Post - ND57 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- "Why whould ND schedule Texas to only lose more?" - mitquinn 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- No shit, one of your best posts - TerryD 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- I'm excited to stand up and cheer on third down - SNAKE 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- They have no fond memories. There has been no - Carlos Huerta 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Excellent post - Irishaddict 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Marriage has softened your cold heart, it's like watching - smcchick 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- I've been wondering if the demise of football - URwhatUR 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- In the past 5 years, this is the best post you've authored. - The Beef 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- It really is tough to watch - dwjm3 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- A student asked me, "How good was football when you were - dbldomer7375 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Insanity: doing the same, expecting different results * - Thunderlips 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Yes it is. - BeijingIrish 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- who stole Andy's password? * - DBCooper 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Good post. - Inspectorclouseau 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- "Who is Tony Rice?" - NDMike2001 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Good post. A few thoughts: - oneill3b 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Not that my opinion means shit. - jakam31 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- The spirit of this post, could light up the universe. - Jurassic 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- The proper vernacular is ... - CJC 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- You hit on what makes this different from Army or Yale - Jvan 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Well said... - MR_IRISH 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- you're not a misanthrope, but that was pretty funny. - johncardinalohara 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Well Stated * - NavyJoe 2011-09-14 10:37:11
- Well said. * - MICKYNDS 2011-09-14 10:37:11
The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.