Jeff Jackson's future with Notre Dame.
by wearendhockey (2024-03-10 21:15:22)

I don't mean to post a thread where we discuss the relative merits of the current coaching regime versus any changes that might come. Most people who post here have chimed in throughout the season about what they think might be the best move for the program, me especially. I am just wondering what folks think. Will our head coach be back next season or not?

I have a gut feeling he won't be. This is based on a lot of things. Some of the comments he's made about the current state of the game over the last couple of seasons, some of his demeanor, truthfully some of what he said following the loss last night. It has always been hard to read Jackson's emotions because he doesn't frequently let them show. His reactions following Calle Ridderwall's and Jake Evan's goals in the 2008 and 2018 FFs were the ultimate poker face. But to me there's just... something, some difficult to describe vibes I get from his behavior. And I am probably dead wrong.

Whether or not you hope for a change now, or hope Jackson returns for another season to try to turn things around, or hope he stays for another 5 or 10 seasons, I am just curious as to what folks THINK will happen.

I think every coach on campus should be ready for a convo
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-13 14:07:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with the new AD. Even Freeman, Ivey, and Jackson.

I personally have a hard time seeing anything changing with one more season.

I think Corrigan and Gia arebprobably good *
by Radi-skull  (2024-03-13 17:00:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t think that anyone’s neck is on the block….yet.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-16 14:02:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it is imperative that Bevacqua establish his expectations early to every member of the department and then have the nerve, and the support, to follow through if anyone falls below the stated standard.

As it pertains to hockey, asking for Coach Jackson’s resignation if we aren’t a tourney team next year would send a loud and clear signal that this isn’t Jack’s “good enough is good enough” regime.

I'd be very surprised if he were fired. Resign, maybe.
by basicbasket  (2024-03-12 09:01:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I understand a coach can be blamed for some "big picture" recruiting issues given ND's resources/facilities, but my impression is that some of the de-commitments were basically not his fault.

Before the Michigan games
by Boston Domer  (2024-03-11 01:23:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought the athletic department was going to have some tough conversations regarding his staff. Like a lot of people here, I don’t think running it back with Jackson, Pooley, and Slaggert was an acceptable outcome. However after losing those four games at Yost, I think they have enough poor results to justify a firing and buyout.

One thing to keep an eye on is the new deal with NBC. One of Swarbrick’s biggest blunders (and one that honestly way too often overlooked) was the ten-year extension signed in 2013 and running until 2025. The athletic department motto was literally “Survive Until ’25” meaning they had to penny pinch until they could get a television contract at fair market value. It’s a big reason why ND didn’t want to pay Ludwig’s buyout in 2023, but outbid LSU to bring Denbrock back, now that the ink is dry on a (more reasonable) five-year extension.

Are you saying the program should transition to Sheahan now?
by ndmd99  (2024-03-11 10:26:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or move on from all 4 coaches (Jackson/Pooley/Slaggert/Sheahan)?

I still think the wisest move is to fire/"retire" Pooley. Goaltending isn't a problem. I'd like to see what Sheahan can do with the D (which may take a couple years as players he recruits eventually get to campus -- I think he had some good commits last Fall with Aucoin and Klaers). That leaves the forwards/PP. Which is Pooley.

That being said, Jackson/Pooley are probably inseparable ride-or-die. If that's the case, I'd still give JJ another year to see if Sheahan has any effect in this recruiting cycle. If we aren't getting our top targets (esp at forward), then I suspect JJ and Co will toss in the towel after next year.

There's a third Nelson brother who is invited to NTDP tryouts and may be a higher ranked prospect than Danny/Henry were at this stage. Where he commits next August should be a solid litmus test for the program.

I think they can't bring back the entire staff intact
by Boston Domer  (2024-03-11 14:45:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

after two such disappointing seasons. Whether that means retaining Jackson, but requesting that he fire a long-time assistant (a tough needle to thread) or cleaning house completely, I haven't decided.

I lean towards not firing the head coach, but I don't think I'd object if it happened.

Its clear the staff is beyond stale.
by wearendhockey  (2024-03-11 18:46:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm curious is any NCAA staff in another sport has been together as long as Jackson, Pooley and Slaggert. I'd be utterly shocked if so. In NCAA hockey there is nothing remotely close to the near two-decade run those three have had together

It would be one thing if the level of success was being sustained. But we have not been an NCAA worthy team for 4 of the last 5 seasons. For the life of me I can't see why the university wouldn't think changes are absolutely necessary. But one thing I am 100% convinced of is Notre Dame isn't firing Jackson. No chance of that at all. What bugs me the most is I doubt there are serious discussion being held with Jackson about the state of the program. I think all the university sees is no scandals, good kids, games they can call sold out, and up until this season, the bad seasons are .500, not 7-25-4.

Union, Robert Morris, and Maine are all contemplating multi-million dollar upgrades to their facilities or building new ones all together. A number of other schools have already undertaken or recently completed similar palaces in the facilities arms race. What put us on a separate page from a lot of programs is not quite as true any more. We need to put this right quickly. Another couple of years of sub-.500 performance and we could see that the ship has sailed.

Prepared to be shocked
by NH74Domer  (2024-03-11 21:06:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Woman’s BB has numerous examples of long term head coaches and assistants. Geno’s assistant has been with him since ‘85. Carol Owen’s was with Muffet on and off for 19.

Rand Pecknold’s assistants tend to stay around for awhile, although not as long as JJ’s. He’s had two assistants since ‘08, Riga (now HC at HC) and Dumais.

I get that pairs of coaches (or maybe more in football since
by wearendhockey  (2024-03-11 22:08:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their staffs are so big) sometimes remain together for a long time, but not entire staffs. Has Ariemma's ENTIRE staff remained the same since he started coaching at UConn? With Notre Dame the only change at all for the entirety of Jackson's tenure in the paid coaching staff was when the NCAA allowed another full salary coach to be hired, hence the addition of Sheahan. I doubt anyone has a staff that is completely unchanged going on two decades. Riga has been at Holy Cross for a few years now and was not at Quinnipiac when Pecknold started there. And Mike Corbett has been with Quinnipiac for just a couple of years. And they finally won their NCAA title after Riga left and was replaced by Corbett.

I think the fact we are changing ADs this month works in his
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-10 23:29:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

favor and he will be around another year. I can't imagine Bevacqua comes in and fires him *unless* Bevacqua had been building a list of replacements while in the on-deck circle.

Tom Nevala is going to do all the legwork on a coach search
by Boston Domer  (2024-03-11 01:09:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swarbrick probably has lists for who to hire if Freeman or Shrewsberry were win the power ball lottery and suddenly retire, but he’s definitely not keeping a running list for all the Olympic sports. Obviously the incoming AD will conduct an interview and be the ultimate decision maker, but hockey is a sport that gets delegated.

Swarbrick has lists…what a howler! *
by GoonSquad  (2024-03-11 22:43:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is Nevala still with Notre Dame. I have not seen his name
by wearendhockey  (2024-03-11 10:57:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

come up anywhere regarding hockey in years.

According to what appears to be his LinkedIn profile
by Boston Domer  (2024-03-11 14:41:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nevala left the school at the beginning of the 2021-22 academic year. I completely missed that bit of news. wow. Quickly looking at the ND athletics staff directory, I have no idea who is currently overseeing the hockey program.

Nevala got the Heisler treatment from Swarbrick *
by El Kabong  (2024-03-12 18:17:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless the team tanks completely next year, I think it will
by NH74Domer  (2024-03-10 23:20:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be up to him. He’s 10th all time in wins and 5th among active coaches in win percentage. While I know that coaching is a “what-have-you-done-for-me-lately” business, ND has traditionally shown a lot of patience (or is it indifference?) with long tenured coaches in sports other than football.

JJ’s overall track record - this was only his 4th losing season - may give him even more latitude than most. It would take a perfect storm of events - an exodus of players to the portal combined with massive recruiting/transfer portal misses resulting in a Poulin-like last season - for it to be obvious to all that he should move on. While I don’t think this will happen, I do think we are in for more mediocrity. This may be enough for him to walk away on his own after the next season rather than try to turn things around at the age of 70.

I think he should step down. He's done so much for ND
by maverick  (2024-03-10 22:25:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it's starting to resemble Breys stint

I think hes gone BUT
by DakotaDomer  (2024-03-10 21:31:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m not sure how the AD regime change complicates things. In theory we have JS’s end date at ND penciled in. If JJ wanted to avoid casting a cloud around the inevitable participation trophy banquet in Swarbys honor…JJ likely needs to quit this week. I think if he lasts the week I’m flipping my vote from 75% I’m sure he goes to 75% sure he stays.

I think he will return *
by garbageplate  (2024-03-10 21:30:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he is back. When he spoke to our ND club last year
by zahm82  (2024-03-11 18:20:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before one of the Gopher games he made it very clear that he loves coaching and loves the school (He got very emotional about this). I think he sees this freshmen class as a good base to start a solid rebuild with a return to the playoffs in a year or two. I just hope he doesn't stay so long that Brock Sheahan moves on because I think he would be a great fit.