Total Eclipse of the Heart. Golden Tate. Never forget. *
by Porpoiseboy (2024-04-08 09:00:49)

This user did not provide content for this post

I really like this version of the catch. He may have been a
by rgvirish  (2024-04-08 11:42:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

showboat, but he was our showboat.

In case you did forget..
by Radi-skull  (2024-04-08 10:42:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Golden Tate video
by NDQuebec  (2024-04-11 11:17:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow! Thanks so much for posting this. It is my favorite ND play of all time and my fav video. It gives me goosebumps every time. For some reason, it was taken down from You Tube a while ago (copyright violations I think) and I could never find it after years of watching it. I guess they put it back.

I love Clausen's smile at the end. Just a beautiful video. I hope I can save it for good this time.

Thanks again!

Cool. Diving into cheerleaders would be better. Right? *
by sticker  (2024-04-09 16:32:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty well thrown ball too *
by krudler  (2024-04-09 15:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Figthing Irish! *
by mkovac  (2024-04-08 17:34:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What an athlete Golden Tate was. Did he play on the Irish
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 13:26:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

baseball team?

My son played baseball against him in high school
by tenndomer  (2024-04-08 14:12:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and against Harrison Smith in football. That Chattanooga Notre Dame vs. Knoxville Catholic football game was one of the most exciting sporting events I've been to.

Also Jason Heyward in baseball and Michael Oher.
by tenndomer  (2024-04-08 16:33:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty cool "career."

don't get me started
by jt  (2024-04-08 17:07:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ok, I'll start.

Tom Brady (baseball and football), Eric Byrnes (in football, he was actually really good and his team was unbelievable), Jason Kidd (unbelievable), Pat Burrell, Amani Toomer.

I'm pretty sure that there's a few more, but my memory escapes me beyond that. The best/most dynamic athlete I ever competed against and/or saw up close and personal was a guy named Demitrius "hook" Mitchell. This guy was unbelievable--he would hold his own slam dunk contests in the park to raise money and he'd jump over cars, trucks (saw him do a 360 over a truck), people, desks stacked up, and all kinds of obstacles. This was around 1992-93, so before all the really crazy dunk stuff (besides MJ and Wilkins) took off. He was only about 5-10 but he could touch the top of the backboard and was just explosive. He got a lot of shots to make it, but he just didn't like school and he got messed up with some bad guys. I've linked a preview of a documentary they did a while back, but there is even more info out there for anyone interested in checking.

That documentary looks really good. The best I can do
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 17:26:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is walking in the snow to see my high school play against this skinny 6’6 sophomore from Lansing Everett. His name was Earvin Johnson. He was thin as a rail with a huge Afro. He made some sweet passes and had a few dunks. He grew three more inches in high school. I probably saw him five or six times when he was in high school. Averaged 28 pts and 16 rebounds as a senior. It was fun to follow his career.

That’s nothing.
by mocopdx  (2024-04-08 20:42:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Keith Kurowski once yelled at me to “get off the damn court!” in high school. I wasn’t even on the team.

Who is Keith K? * *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 21:58:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Highly ranked hoops recruit at Notre Dame. Was
by Homeboy73  (2024-04-08 23:17:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

injured early on and never really panned out. Left team because of injury. New Jersey guy. Around 1992 or so. Came in with Ryan Hoover, as best I recall. Fairly bleak period for Notre Dame hoops.

Guarding Nick Buoniconti in a basketball pickup game at ND
by MBOIrish  (2024-04-08 23:42:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when he made a move to the basket I thought about sacrificing my body causing him to take a charging penalty but no wasn’t that stupid….

he and my dad were on the same bookstore team
by jt  (2024-04-10 12:09:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe Myron Pottios was also on the team.

From what I understand, they played a pretty physical brand of basketball.

edit: I guess it wasn't a bookstore team, as RJD points out below. Must have been some type of pick up type games between the dorms or whatever.

Must have been called something else
by RJD  (2024-04-10 13:40:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bookstore started in the early 70s.

Must have been
by jt  (2024-04-10 15:56:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know Monk Malloy was on one of the other teams and was actually pretty good.

Sounds like a wise decision. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-09 10:54:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll stick with Magic Johnson. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 23:40:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s cool your son got to compete against those guys. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 14:46:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Indeed he did...
by ndzippy  (2024-04-08 13:28:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a freshman and sophomore, Tate hit .318/.375/.402 with 16 stolen bases and 51 runs scored in 73 games for the baseball team.

Pretty darn impressive. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 14:03:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fantastic *
by drmurray  (2024-04-08 11:43:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tears. Every damned time! *
by Porpoiseboy  (2024-04-08 11:49:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My favorite ND video of all time! *
by NDQuebec  (2024-04-11 11:31:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Low grades for ND Band as a Mosh Pit *
by RJD  (2024-04-08 13:21:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was the Spartan marching band, I believe. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 13:25:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This might have been the play that moved bands to the stands
by OITLinebacker  (2024-04-15 08:11:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Particularly the opposing band to the upper bowl. Something those of us who sit down on that end are very grateful for.

It was. Golden said later that week
by RoccoGlobboSchoolForWomen  (2024-04-08 13:37:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that he thought he was jumping into the ND band.

That being said, I'm not sure he'd have much more luck with the ND band catching him.

Ha! *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-08 18:30:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post