Super league talk gaining traction
by jt (2024-04-04 15:13:56)

Sounds like moving towards what they've been discussing for years--dissolve ncaa, keep about 70 teams and have a plan to move ip/down 10 teams each way in a relegation system. Players will be employees.

I think it is a terrible idea anathema to ND
by ACross  (2024-04-07 18:04:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And we should think of a better option and persuade other schools to join us.

The more I think about it, the more I believe this is a rear
by VaDblDmr  (2024-04-05 17:45:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

guard action by the Big 12 and ACC to protect themselves from being relegated. That's why the B1G and SEC have expressed no interest; why Syverud and Gee are on the point; and why they are agreeing up front to unequal shares.

I think it's more likely that the B1G, SEC, ND, and a few supplementary teams added from the Big 12 and ACC to the B1G and SEC will separate on their own.

the interesting part in the article below
by jt  (2024-04-05 19:16:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is that the NFL is getting involved, and apparently not really just behind the scenes.

It's in the NFL's interests to make sure that this goes down "the right way" and I don't think they're really all that concerned about bloated athletic department staff, hangers on, etc.

It could be a smart piece of business on the NFL’s part.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-08 18:09:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NFL has to be really terrified of college football collapsing under the weight of their own ineptitude. There’s no chance that the NFL could spin up a legitimate developmental system in less than two years. Probably closer to 5 to do it right. And unlike MLB, the NHL, and the NBA, there’s no ready made supply of talent to fill the gap. Making sure that college football remains intact, and tied to the NFL, is their best case scenario.

Now, where this could go epically bad for them is if they hustle backwards. The key to any reforms lie at the feet of the TV networks. Thankfully for the NFL, the same networks that broadcast college football also broadcast the NFL. I doubt that the NFL is above applying some pressure to get them onboard. If the networks make some noise, the conferences will fall in line because if the TV money dries up, they’re done

If they try and work through the conferences, ADs, and Presidents, this is DOA.

yep. *
by MrE  (2024-04-05 18:26:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd rather ND
by Molly Maguires  (2024-04-05 14:20:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

GIVE UP FOOTBALL than pay players.

Maybe the Saudis can pony up
by Nyirish08  (2024-04-04 22:12:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

College athletic directors are easily lured by money.

This has actually been talked about quite a bit. *
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-05 12:30:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wouldn't be the first time "Big Oil" was a force in CFB...
by CoachS  (2024-04-05 09:57:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe they could revive the SWC & the Big 8!!!

Wasn't there an SI cover of a lady with an ND helmet
by mintirish  (2024-04-05 11:02:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

carrying a football in desert? Or some old movie? I've seen the photo on this site. Driving me nuts I can't find it via google

Apparently the Arabs were playing against ND
by mintirish  (2024-04-05 11:08:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In this old movie

The movie was "John Goldfarb, Please Come Home".
by arasera  (2024-04-05 11:22:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It sucked.

I rated it one bag of burnt popcorn.

It's bad enough to be good. It's a guilty pleasure. *
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-08 11:21:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

William Peter Blatty wrote the book it was
by jfs86  (2024-04-07 10:00:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Based on.

LIV College Football *
by Groundhog  (2024-04-04 23:31:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND vs So Cal in Qatar. Game payout: $5 billion per team
by Frank Drebin  (2024-04-05 08:41:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only downside is that the Song Girls will have to wear burkas on the sidelines

Dissolve the NCAA entirely or just for FBS football? *
by 105Marquette  (2024-04-04 21:23:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doesn't NCAA make 90% of it's revenue from the tournament?
by mintirish  (2024-04-05 11:03:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems like they could exist without football. Not without basketball.

entirely, I think
by jt  (2024-04-05 09:48:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they're going BK.

What forms after that for all the sports is the biggest question, obviously.

ND cited as a model of staying conference in non-FB sports
by AraStopTheSnow  (2024-04-05 12:39:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by Chip Kelly in a published quote in The Athletic. (Sorry if somebody else already mentioned this.)

Why would they dissolve the NCAA? Just re-write the bylaws.
by cujays96  (2024-04-05 11:16:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They'll still want some entity to tattle to on the other schools and act as a focal point for blame when they get it wrong.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't have oversight
by jt  (2024-04-05 12:29:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just don't think it would be the NCAA. I think that they'll need a new entity that hasn't constantly lost in court for decades. Trying to polish the turd, so to speak.

Perhaps they can call the new one, "the cartel formerly known as the NCAA."

There are 1100 member institutions
by gregmorrissey  (2024-04-05 10:06:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’d be surprised if losing the top 50 or so would end it. Somebody still needs to regulate the other 1,050 and put together postseason tournaments.

NAIA still exists with a fraction of the revenue

Perhaps the statement needs amendment:
by Manorcal  (2024-04-05 12:46:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"The N.C.A.A. as media rights cartel and piggy bank will soon disappear--it will be replaced for at least one money-generating sport. Whether it persists in its core role of organizing intercollegiate athletic competition for most sports remains to be seen."

There's a thread started below with an article from Athletic (link)
by Queensman  (2024-04-04 15:26:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks, not sure how I missed that *
by jt  (2024-04-04 15:51:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post