Boy, Bevacqua badly wants a national title
by G.K.Chesterton (2024-04-03 23:44:16)
Edited on 2024-04-03 23:46:04

He is putting it front and center. I won't go overboard with bolding- just read it out loud if necessary. (OK, I lied - I had to bold a few lines.) As long as we stay within the lines, Pete, go for it. Maybe it's just a dog whistle he's putting out there for dopey alums like me, but I'm listening. Excerpt from Eric Hansen piece linked below:

Because of Jack, we’re really well-positioned to make a great run here over the course of the next decade and beyond,” Bevacqua said. “But we don’t want to wait a decade. We want to win a national championship now.

“I’ll say that ’til I'm blue in the face. And every year that goes by that we don’t — not to get overly dramatic — but it eats a piece of your soul.”

Why it’s more than a desire but rather a pragmatic likelihood in Bevacqua’s mind is, again, largely due to how Swarbrick evolved the program during his almost 17-year reign. That’s both on campus and as someone who shaped college football nationally. The latter includes serving as architect of the 12-team College Football Playoff that debuts this December and will be deployed for at least the next two postseasons.

And that’s why Bevacqua doesn’t spend a lot of time on the “why not Notre Dame” for the last 35 seasons, and ;why Notre Dame' feels almost inevitable in the not-so-distant future to him.

“Not only do we want to win a national championship, we HAVE to win a national championship,” he said. “I think sitting here in 2024, we’re now officially in the second week on the job, I’m inheriting a football program that’s a lot different than the one Jack inherited.

“So, I don’t think it’s necessarily anything anyone did wrong. And we have competed for it a couple of times over the past 10-plus years. So, I’m not really delving and focusing on the past. I’m focusing on where we are now and in the future. And I would tell you it’s an absolute priority for the athletic department and it’s an absolute priority for the university.

“I think not only do we have to win a national championship, I think it’s imperative that we win one with Marcus Freeman as our head football coach.”

Replies: