Freeman 69 out of 134 in FBS head coach longevity.
by G.K.Chesterton (2024-02-26 14:30:48)
Edited on 2024-02-26 14:52:09

Here is everyone in the Class of 2021:

50. Steve Sarkisian, Texas -- Jan. 2
51. Charles Huff, Marshall -- Jan. 17
52. Josh Heupel, Tennessee -- Jan. 27
53. Gus Malzahn, UCF -- Feb. 15
54. Lance Leipold, Kansas -- April 30
55. Tim Albin, Ohio -- July 15
56. Jake Dickert, Washington State -- Oct. 18
57. Clay Helton, Georgia Southern -- Nov. 2
58. Joey McGuire, Texas Tech -- Nov. 9
59. Jim Mora, UConn -- Nov. 11
60. Don Brown, UMass -- Nov. 18
61(t). Billy Napier, Florida -- Nov. 28
61(t). Lincoln Riley, USC -- Nov. 28
63. Rhett Lashlee, SMU -- Nov. 29
64(t). Sonny Cumbie, Louisiana Tech -- Nov. 30
64(t). Sonny Dykes, TCU -- Nov. 30
64(t). Brian Kelly, LSU -- Nov. 30
64(t). Brent Pry, Virginia Tech -- Nov. 30
64(t). Rich Rodriguez, Jacksonville State -- Nov. 30
69. Marcus Freeman, Notre Dame -- Dec. 3
70(t). Michael Desormeaux, Louisiana -- Dec. 5
70(t). Brent Venables, Oklahoma -- Dec. 5
72(t). Mario Cristobal, Miami -- Dec. 6
72(t). Jay Norvell, Colorado State -- Dec. 6
74. Jeff Tedford, Fresno State -- Dec. 8
75(t). Mike MacIntyre, Florida International -- Dec. 9
75(t). Joe Moorhead, Akron -- Dec. 9
77. Tony Elliott, Virginia -- Dec. 10
78. Dan Lanning, Oregon -- Dec. 11
79. Stan Drayton, Temple -- Dec. 15

And it still feels like he got here week before last *
by sprack  (2024-02-26 18:42:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You said exactly the same thing about Father Sorin *
by Frank Drebin  (2024-02-27 05:52:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow. Words fail. *
by usmcirish  (2024-02-27 11:09:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2024-02-26 16:32:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Obligatory
by enginerd194  (2024-02-27 06:59:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting that the MAC programs seem to have many of
by jbrown_9999  (2024-02-26 15:59:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the longest tenured coaches

9. Chuck Martin, Miami (Ohio) -- Dec. 3, 2013
11. Chris Creighton, Eastern Michigan -- Dec. 11, 2013
17. Jason Candle, Toledo -- Dec. 2, 2015
20. Mike Neu, Ball State -- Jan. 7, 2016
26. Scot Loeffler, Bowling Green -- Nov. 28, 2018
27. Jim McElwain, Central Michigan -- Dec. 2, 2018
33. Thomas Hammock, Northern Illinois -- Jan. 18, 2019

Miami (OH) must have a pretty good running game
by mintirish  (2024-02-27 09:15:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with Chuck Martin having been there for so long

To be fair, he won the MAC last year
by miamioh_irishfan  (2024-02-27 09:29:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not like he's been a flop.

Don't sleep on the RedHawks this year either. Plenty of guys coming back.

I didn't realize Joe Moorhead is at Akron.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-02-26 16:36:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has gone 2-10 each of his first two years. SP+ ranks them 132nd out of 134 FBS teams. He might need to call United Van Lines in early fall for moving boxes.

(LInk is pay-walled.)

#75 tenured Moorhead 132/134, #77 Lanning #3/134. Joe's
by Domerduck  (2024-02-29 01:14:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

last job before Akron was OC at Oregon goes 4-20 as HC at Akron. Lanning comes to Oregon and has gone 22-5 as HC. Seems like leaving Oregon is not such a good idea. Four other OCs/DCs/HCs who left Oregon recently:
Willie Taggart HC left Oregon in 2017 to HC at FSU, fired after <2 years
Andy Avalos DC left Oregon in 2021 as HC at BSU, fired after <3 years
Mario Cristobal 13 losses in 5 years at Oregon, left to HC at Miami and already has 13 losses in just 2 years.
Kenny Dillingham OC left Oregon in 2023 as HC at ASU, 1st year record 3-9.

I think Lanning is smart to stay put at Oregon.

He was the ACP's flavor of the month not too long ago
by ACross  (2024-02-26 17:10:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now that posse is excited for a retread who said he wants to spread the field, go exclusively to spread and one back, and suck ass.

Was he? Cool. *
by Ndwahoo  (2024-02-27 23:21:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saying spread and 11 personnel in his 1st PC was worrisome. *
by Newt  (2024-02-26 21:03:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What did he say? I can't imagine Freeman likes that idea. *
by VaDblDmr  (2024-02-26 22:31:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His quote
by mocopdx  (2024-02-26 23:07:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"I think it's understanding what we're trying to get done more than anything. I think we'll probably be a little more spread looking football team than they've been the last couple years. A little bit more 11 personnel than they've run the last couple years. The reason for that really is to help out the run game, to help the play-action game, to help out getting our athletes out in space and giving them the ability to make some explosive plays. That's what we're going to try to create."

So no he didn’t say he wants to go exclusively to spread and 11 personnel. He said he wants “a little more” spread than we’ve been running and “a little bit more 11 personnel”. Now, I suppose one could say that you can read through that and deduce he wants to run a lot of spread, but if we take him at his word then I don’t get what the issue is here. Almost every good team in CFB has run more spread/11 personnel than we have the last few years.

You omitted the part about throwing it 50 times. I'm at a
by VaDblDmr  (2024-02-27 19:02:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

loss why these people being paid 7 figures per annum can't look at what Harbaugh did at Michigan, which was both predictable and predicted, and understand that it is the blueprint that ND has to follow to have any chance at a national championship.

Oh, and the max pass attempts Michigan had in any game this year? 37, against Purdue. I didn't tabulate it, but I'd guess their average attempts/game were around 20-22.

So simple and obvious it hurts *
by MrE  (2024-02-28 11:40:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The obsession with getting guys in space
by dwjm3  (2024-02-27 15:04:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The very essence of Kellyball . Kellyball just doesn’t work against elite teams. We will hang 40 plus on NIU, but wiill struggle against any elite opponent in the playoffs. It was a really naive decision by Freeman to bring in Denbrock.

It's all he's ever known (well, also Willingham FWIW). This
by VaDblDmr  (2024-02-27 18:33:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

should not surprise anybody. As I said when he was hired, I'll hope for the best, but I am definitely expecting a continuation of the Kelly offense.

My hope against hope is that Freeman has the fortitude to put some guardrails on it; but that's probably hoping for too much.

I think that it's hoping for too much
by jt  (2024-02-27 21:00:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that said, if we get a decent qb, it's enough to win about 10 games a year, give or take 1 or 2. Freeman might be expecting that and figuring that if he adds a stout defense, that might put us over the top.

"but everybody wanted him and we won a bidding war"
by irishrock  (2024-02-27 15:26:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or so I've been told. My guess is that he couldn't wait to get away from Kelly and that ND was the best looking job out there (A&M???? seriously?)

Holtz knew both sides of the ball...a lot of coaches did from that generation. Until Freeman learns how to run an offense, he'll always be at a disadvantage with his offensive coaches. Sad, because I really want the guy to make it big

Uh...A&M is a premier career stop. Probably at par with ND.
by austindomer  (2024-02-27 16:10:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, their program doesn't possess Notre Dame's cache. But A&M is brimming with elite talent, they compete in the best conference in the country, and they pay top dollar for their staff.

Contrast that with Notre Dame. We possess good-to-great talent. We play a schedule that's mostly relegated to the ACC, lining up against the dregs of the college football landscape. And, while we're richer than Croesus, the university leadership doesn't invest those funds in the program at even close to the same level as A&M or most other big football programs.

I love our program and want the Irish to win but let's not lose sight of our actual position in the college football world. We're no longer NOTRE DAME. That reputation died sometime in the early 2000s, probably when Urban Meyer jilted us for Florida. We've been a middling, second-tier afterthought of a program for at least twenty years and coordinators looking for work view us accordingly.

An utter falsehood that ND undercapitalizes its football
by ACross  (2024-02-27 17:01:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

program. We just spent $500 goddamned million on a stadium expansion. We pay a mediocre head coach (based on achievements) millions and millions of dollars. We pay our Director of Athletics Emeritus $2 million.

Our position has indeed plummeted under Jenkins/Swarbrick. But it wasn't lack of money invested.

And we bought two blockbuster QBs
by acrossdmiddle  (2024-02-27 18:53:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are wise spenders, that’s for sure.

Fair point. *
by austindomer  (2024-02-27 17:56:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is disheartening because I like him as well *
by dwjm3  (2024-02-27 15:53:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was kind of hoping for a "we're gonna pound it" quote *
by irishrock  (2024-02-27 14:34:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We’re going to dance it! *
by acrossdmiddle  (2024-02-27 18:52:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is going to be just another iteration of the bullshit
by ACross  (2024-02-27 13:13:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the horrific Kelly offense. Works great when you have a top 5 NFL draft pick at QB. Even then, it's a 3 loss season.

I haven't looked, but I bet the LSU running backs were not that productive.

This is going to be a metallic pea offense. You think I hate it now?

I saw the spread quote too surprised no thread here on it
by harigtad  (2024-02-27 12:00:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

let's hope those kind of sets are limited

Bill Burr on "you got a good spread" (language)
by mkovac  (2024-02-27 13:24:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it spells trouble.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-02-27 10:43:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it means he believes it was his clever scheming (inspired by the Great and Powerful Brian Kelly, of course) that got Jayden Daniels "out in space" so that he could make "explosive plays." No. That was all about an incredibly talented player using his considerable gifts to make something out of nothing whenever those spread principles turned to shit. As far as I know, Jayden Daniels isn't walking through that door at Notre Dame. So I fear we're just going to be looking at the same disjointed, grab bag nonsense that we've endured since Kelly arrived. That is the issue here.

(And please don't start on Denbrock's time at Cincinnati.)

This is exactly what I foretold
by ACross  (2024-02-27 13:17:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This offense and this OC is like getting a Trabant and painting it mauve.

It is going to be putrid.

I’ve been right there with you
by acrossdmiddle  (2024-02-27 18:56:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope to be proven wrong.

He’s exponentially approaching the top 10
by trout  (2024-02-26 14:58:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Another couple of years should do it.