off the front page *
by olson (2017-07-14 13:30:09)
Edited on 2017-07-22 09:31:52
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Rock's House ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

Mansell Carter, 1979? *
by Chuck84  (2017-07-16 17:33:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mansel wasn't All State
by Olson  (2017-07-16 18:06:05)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

although Mansel was named to the Adidas/Scholastic Coach AA team & did play in the Illinois prep All Star game in August before enrolling at ND

Bigger ND names to NOT make Illinois All State:

Dan Shannon (Mt Carmel)
Ziggy Czarobski (Mt Carmel)

I didn't know that Ben Zajeski Sr was all-state in HS...
by Scoop80  (2017-07-14 20:56:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I knew that he played at ND, as I went to grade school w/ Ben Zajeski, Jr. As I previously noted, I grew up w/ the sons of Dick Dytrych and Bill Harty (Keebler Elves inventor), too. Quite an ND parish we had, in hindsight.

An uncle (who's still alive) knew George Connor fairly well--said uncle played w/ Jack Connor at De La Salle.

I saw Stan Bobowksi play against my HS (Marist) his senior year at St. Viator. Viator's was ranked #1 in state at time.

Scott Zettek was in '76 frosh class (my class). He sold his green jersey for $50 after '77 USC game. New green jersies weren't delivered in time for Navy game following week, so he had to go back to buyer and retrieve his jersey for Navy game.

Pete Grogan lived in my section my sr. year @ ND.

Thanks for this stroll down memory lane.

EDIT: It's interesting to note that Butkus, Staubach, and Griese all had negative recruiting experiences during Kuharich's tenure.

It dawned on me reading that list how many names were
by weirdo0521  (2017-07-14 15:13:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

familiar to me. Many I knew just on name recognition. Then I went back and read again a few times. My grandpa was the coach for 2 of the players in HS. I worked with 4 of them in some fashion. 5 are close friends of my family, and 1 was a HS team mate and friend of my son. Another mention was a close friend of my grandpa, and his son is a friend and former rugby team mate. That was like a walk through my ND football fandom life.

Corny Clatt was a good friend of my dad's
by Camarillo Brillo  (2017-07-14 14:27:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And when I moved out of the house after college Mr Clatt bought my old drum set

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.