Facebook really is the worst.
by LondonDomer (2013-01-09 10:20:49)
Edited on 2013-01-09 10:23:17
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

I recently went through and did a complete purging of my facebook account - removing everyone except close friends and family. I was actually on the verge of just quitting altogether, but do use Facebook to keep in touch with people I'm close with, like my ND roommates and family in other states. So I culled my friend list from around 500 people to about 100. If I removed anyone here, do forgive me.

Last night I got an angry message from a girl I went to middle school/high school with. She had seen a post I had made because a mutual friend commented on it. She decided to say hello and - gasp! - I had defriended her. So she sent me a note (including the use of all caps "SERIOUSLY?"), miffed that I had defriended her. Good grief. We were decent friends in highschool (nearly 10 years ago), but I haven't seen or talked to her in at least 5 years. She is, however, a USC grad.

People are strange. Facebook is the worst.

I've been off Facebook for over a year now
by Iowa Pre-Flight  (2013-01-09 20:22:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and let me tell you, it's been liberating.

And guys on facebook tend to be creepy
by 84david  (2013-01-09 13:06:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dudes that friend 13 year old girls.

You should have a separate account for that sort of thing *
by dentonfreeman  (2013-01-09 14:14:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems pretty harmless.
by doolinbanjos  (2013-01-09 13:01:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I must be doing it wrong.

My fiance and I met on Facebook
by DoubleDomer0307  (2013-01-09 12:57:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So as much as it annoys me sometimes, it's also good for something.

Quit, and you will never look back. It was awesome!! *
by 53stackmonster  (2013-01-09 12:09:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Facebook is the best
by IAND75  (2013-01-09 12:04:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

source for insipid aphorisms, and puppy and kitten pictures.

Reddit has every meme that pops up on FB
by Wooderson  (2013-01-09 12:36:48)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about 3 weeks before it gets to FB.

A girl from high school friended me, I assume because
by smcchick  (2013-01-09 11:59:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we are both gay. We had not really talked to each other since sophomore year in high school, so I could not figure out why she was requesting me to friend her. I was feeling nice that day, so I accepted.

We have been friends on Facebook for 3 years, not a peep from her. I posted a musical quote for fun, about having a baby. She posted a comment two seconds later, "is this a hint...???" I of course responded that no babies would ever be made in our house.

Calm down girl who I haven't talked to in 20 years. Calm down.

The worst are the cross-linked Twitter/Facebookers
by nyirish08  (2013-01-09 11:59:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Instant defriending. I do not get Twitter, unless you're a celebrity, news source, or very large ego'ed person.

I'm on Twitter only.
by Wooderson  (2013-01-09 12:36:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I might have 10 friends, and literally only use it as a sort of news aggregator (links to EDSBS stories, transit policy, news, etc.).

Twitter is excellent for that. *
by Iowa Pre-Flight  (2013-01-09 20:26:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also Twitter only - deleted my FB account on Monday night. *
by sirket  (2013-01-09 13:37:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

i got rid of most of the idiots during the election
by cujaysfan  (2013-01-09 11:56:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you're lucky we're still "friends"

I started a Crossfit and Baby rule.
by Killian  (2013-01-09 11:42:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you posted about Crossfit or your kid two days in a row you got deleted. I dont have kids and never will....I sure as hell dont need to know everything about yours. I also dont give a shit if you checked in at the gym and are preparing to move a tractor tire and throw a ball against the wall.
My friend list is getting quite small.

I have a baby rule
by Starburns  (2013-01-09 13:25:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like pictures of your kids. I don't need to read about their bowel movements.

My most annoying Facebook friend is the adult sibling of one of my best high school friends who has Down's syndrome. I hate to even call her annoying but her Facebook behavior includes posting four to five slightly different status updates about the same thing in a span of a couple of hours. And every few days a long one full of exclamation points asking why people delete her and don't comment on her statuses.

I've deleted a lot of people but can't bring myself to delete her.

How do people get pissed when they're defriended?
by Rocket7  (2013-01-09 11:37:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know if I've ever defriended someone. I honestly don't know how many people, or who defriended me. I don't care. I used to post a lot, now I don't as much.

The weirdest thing I find is co-workers wanting to "friend" me on Facebook. No thanks. I like to have an area where I can bitch about work and not have it brought up in conversation.

If you're not using facebook solely for stalking hot chicks
by Calmer than you are  (2013-01-09 11:34:42)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

then you're doing it all wrong.

I quit completely in July.
by Wooderson  (2013-01-09 10:57:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was becoming all Wedding and Baby photos and "Look at me at the Hamptons!" stuff.

I've had the same e-mail address for 10 years, and if you know my name, you know how easy I am to find. Nothign personal to anyone, but there's so much more free time I have now.

I quit in May
by dentonfreeman  (2013-01-09 14:13:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And then returned in September in order to keep in contact with the cute Australian girl I'm visiting soon. Go figure on that one.

But how will I stalk you without you knowing?
by Allumeuse  (2013-01-09 14:04:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least get a Twitter feed so you can continue to say funny things please.

My twitter handle is my email addy sans "@xxxx" *
by Wooderson  (2013-01-09 14:53:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes!
by Allumeuse  (2013-01-09 17:27:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks. People tend to be less creep-tastic on Twitter.

It is saddening.
by snarlcakes  (2013-01-09 13:35:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The change, from pictures of young ladies wearing very little, to new born babies wearing very little, has been infuritating.

You need new friends
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2013-01-09 11:33:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I only post pictures of my dog. I've only been to the Hamptons once in my life and have no plans to return.

Well, after Sandy, gonna be a lot fewer beach pics this year *
by Wooderson  (2013-01-09 12:32:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ditto. *
by Stonebreaker9  (2013-01-09 11:20:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was what brought me to the verge of quitting
by LondonDomer  (2013-01-09 11:00:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

then I realized there are people who I actually want to see baby and wedding pictures. So I kept those people - and cut out everyone else.

wait, you actually like looking at wedding pictures? *
by jt  (2013-01-09 11:11:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My favorite is the complete lack of respect of another's
by Papa November  (2013-01-09 10:37:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

privacy. This was a recent post from a woman I used to work with:

"Long night in the hospital after the husband's bag came detached. So tired."

Unbelievable.

Thank goodness no one posts that crap here *
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2013-01-09 11:34:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You know you can unsubscribe from people...
by DrBravo2  (2013-01-09 10:50:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You won't see their posts in your newsfeed, but you're still "friends".

Absolutely. I unsubscribed from you like 4 years ago *
by bucket  (2013-01-09 11:08:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm starting to think you're genuinely an asshole.
by DrBravo2  (2013-01-09 11:20:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Up until recently, I had assumed you were joking.

Take a look in the mirror. *
by TRE  (2013-01-10 00:46:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess I don't see the point
by LondonDomer  (2013-01-09 10:55:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If what you have to say, or what's going on in your life, is so irritating/nonsensical/boring that I'd rather not even take the time to scroll past it in my news feed, why on earth should we be "friends?"

can you please email my sister your thoughts? I don't post
by NDFlyer  (2013-01-09 11:02:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

much on FB; my sister updates her status as much as 10 times a day. My daughter stated this weekend at the Elbo Room: "There are some people who just shouldn't be on FB, and Aunt ***** is one of them." She was a college student when FB was just for students, so she thinks we should all be off of it.

That's rough.
by LondonDomer  (2013-01-09 11:05:49)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm fortunate none of my family/close friends are obnoxious facebook users.

But if Facebook, a free service, changes their privacy
by anthro_domer  (2013-01-09 10:40:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

policies, I'm sure said person would lose their shit.

Please tell me that pun was on purpose. *
by Papa November  (2013-01-09 10:41:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I try. *
by anthro_domer  (2013-01-09 10:43:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It really is crazy.
by LondonDomer  (2013-01-09 10:39:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Another (former) friend's sister recently had a baby. She was posting pictures from the delivery room, including some VERY graphic ones. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I've always kept my friend list short and simple.
by anthro_domer  (2013-01-09 10:36:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I haven't talked to you in more than 2 years and you annoy me, I'm either defriending you or removing you from my news feed. You have to be vicious about it as well.

I think I have something like 130 or so friends on there and it works well for me. There's probably 30 or so people that are off my facebook news feed as well since they mostly just posted annoying shit, but weren't assholes or anything like that.

I assume that she is not good looking
by jt  (2013-01-09 10:34:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

otherwise you wouldn't have defriended her.

As a side note, I never joined and have no plans to do so. I waste enough time on this board to add something else to the mix.

I admire Facebook holdouts *
by ColoNDFan  (2013-01-09 16:42:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I defriended many good looking girls
by LondonDomer  (2013-01-09 10:36:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

including her. She's always been a bit drama queen/spoiled though, so this shouldn't be too shocking.

well then, the solution is easy
by jt  (2013-01-09 11:07:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

tell her that you defriended her because she never sent you any nude pictures.

It is a win-win. If she tells you that you're a pig and she won't send you those pictures, you never have to talk to her again and if she sends you the pictures you get to see her naked.

it is a classic no lose gambit.

Drama queen, spoiled, and good looking USC alum?
by A1Leprechaun  (2013-01-09 11:07:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You don't say?

it's like an equation
by jt  (2013-01-09 11:08:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

all that's missing is "tried girl on girl in college at a sorority party when REALLY drunk (OMG)."

It was the best and worst for me this weekend.
by Rockbrig97  (2013-01-09 10:32:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The best because it helped me organize an undergraduate class mini-reunion that gathered approximately 300 classmates and family. As my classmates entered the bar, I inevitably remembered 60-70% of them and even details of their lives...because of Facebook. It really was a great tool.

And then there were the catcalling and comments directed at me by non-ND folks during the game. I should have ignored them, but I couldn't. I said some regrettable things. I made stupid arguments. I invariably played the role of "arrogant ND fan" in their eyes. It's my mistake more than Facebook's, but Facebook made my decisions much more public.

Like stalking their house on the internet:)
by nd02irish  (2013-01-09 13:48:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Such a fun event! Absolute blast.

Do what I do...
by tag86  (2013-01-09 10:26:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I only accept about 1/10 of friend requests I get. The rest I just ignore. My friends list is very short.

That's definitely how I'll handle things from here on out
by LondonDomer  (2013-01-09 10:32:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I built a massive friend list during college. At one point it was up to around 1000 people, primarily people I met once or twice, had a class with, or ran into at a party or something. I realized I never, ever talked to a large majority of them.

I hate it.
by AZDomer  (2013-01-09 10:25:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I hate myself for not being able to delete it completely. The problem is it's the only way I stay in touch with extended family and friends from college.

I do a major cull once a year. I deleted a bunch of NDNation people a while back, not because I didn't like them, but because worlds were colliding and it all became too much. I got about three hurt emails, it sucked.

I really hate facebook, but as long as so many of my friends use it as their primary point of contact, I can't bring myself to delete it.

I cant believe I made the cut
by DBCooper  (2013-01-09 10:34:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

great seeing you and your wife on monday (and Tim obviously too)

It was an oversight.
by AZDomer  (2013-01-09 10:36:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for hosting us, it was great to see you.

always welcome
by DBCooper  (2013-01-09 10:39:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Its easy to give away beer and food that i didnt pay for.

Sorry i was going back and forth, there were a few people there i hadnt seen in 10 years or so.

Exactly my feelings.
by LondonDomer  (2013-01-09 10:30:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If an actual good friend of mine deleted me, I would wonder why and contact them. But I know for a fact I've been "defriended" several times by people I once knew, or met once or twice, and I never thought about contacting them.

I want to use Facebook to share things in my life with the people I'd actually want to know things. I don't care to let everyone I've ever met, or everyone I once had a class with, or everyone I met at a party and said "we should hang out", know that we're expecting a baby or we got a new car or something.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.