For fans of Charles Dickens, Rod Serling, Peter Sellers...
by Czarobski (2012-12-10 14:00:55)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

... Robert Shaw, Sterling Hayden, Christmas, the music of Henry Mancini, post-apocalyptic survival societies, lists, overly didactic old-timey science fiction, some of Henry Fonda's children, and Bond girls, well then, here's a recommendation:

For the first time since its one and only broadcast on December 28, 1964, the Rod Serling television movie Carol for Another Christmas will be available for public viewing, this Sunday, December 16th at 8:00 EST on TCM. We're talking some serious Ark of the Covenant stuff for Twilight Zone nerds.

And to complete the Charles Dickens two-fer, here's another old-timey recommendation from the same time period.

Cash on Demand, a 1962 Brit Christmas noir, from the famed Hammer Studios. Although best known for their horror flicks, Hammer also produced a series of tautly made crime and psychological thrillers in the early '60s. This is a really good one, starring Hammer regulars Peter Cushing and Andre Morell, in a twist on a classic Christmas tale, armed robbery style. Available in its entirety on Youtube.

Lastly, apologies for the tardiness in this casting call for our annual Back Room production of A Christmas Carol. Last year, after eleven consecutive years of the same Ebenezer, I decided to go with what I thought to be a truly inspired bit of casting by placing Gail in the lead. Within thirty seconds CaptainElectriclecticeltic and Cartwright informed me of no fewer than three previous productions of A Christmas Carol using a female Scrooge, including one with Tori Spelling. So this year we're back to square one. A new Scrooge? Bring back ACross for his twelfth performance? A re-boot of the franchise, with a lot more time-travel sequences and some middle earth shit thrown in?

I'm at a loss. We've got two weeks. The only things cemented at this point are the usual Board Ops-as-the-Ghosts (although why everyone is afraid to just come out and say it -- Cash's acting is f-ing atrocious -- I'll never know), and of course, Porpoiseboy's always inspired Fezziwig.

I'm thinking Buckmulligan in a Scrooged like performance.
by tnirishfan  (2012-12-10 16:11:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Buckmulligan is a poor man's Bill Murray.

Quite poor.
by Buck Mulligan  (2012-12-10 16:36:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I'm seeing it and I'm liking it.

A destitute man's Bill Murray? *
by tnirishfan  (2012-12-10 16:53:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Buck could be the next Beau Bridges. *
by Porpoiseboy  (2012-12-10 17:09:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you think about it,
by Revue Party  (2012-12-10 17:14:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

anyone could be the next Beau Bridges. So that's not a big compliment.

i see it like this
by cujaysfan  (2012-12-10 16:42:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

buck mulligan plays bill murray playing hunter s thompson playing scrooge

Sold! Now if we can just convince this damn director. *
by tnirishfan  (2012-12-10 16:52:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Scrooge - the musical version with Albert Finney from 1970
by SonofNotreDame  (2012-12-10 15:46:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We watch it every year. Love the songs.

[kneels to scrape up scattered fragments of his psyche] *
by Cash  (2012-12-10 14:42:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh... hey Cash. You, um, read this board?
by Czarobski  (2012-12-10 15:15:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Man, this is kinda awkward. But I guess it's better that we just come clean with it:

The cast has been talking. They don't think you're a particularly strong actor. Which is precisely why we gave you Ghost of Christmas Future. And yes, yes, we appreciate that you bring your own scythe each year. That's great, and totally not creepy at all.

But the acting... I mean... it's a non-speaking role. You just have to point at a gravestone. That's it. It ain't brain surgery. It's just f-ing pointing. It's more like open-heart surgery.

I've attached an audition photo.
by Cash  (2012-12-10 16:11:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let me know if I'm capturing the spirit of the thing.

Cash

PS - Yes, I do insist on wearing the Syracuse jersey

Are we deafened by the clamor of voices in support of Gail
by ArasEra  (2012-12-10 14:28:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the lead?

Who will be donating their MDX as Ebenezer's ride, and GMC
by Irish Tool  (2012-12-10 14:23:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Acadia for the Cratchit family car?

Awesome find. Thanks for posting. *
by Bailey  (2012-12-10 14:23:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To be honest, I thought he made it up.
by RocketShark  (2012-12-10 15:38:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I clicked on the link to wikipedia and I'm thinking "wow, he really went the extra mile for this."

I'm powdered up, fat, and sassy.
by Porpoiseboy  (2012-12-10 14:15:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sadly, this is the only thing I take seriously all year.

I was born to play the role.
by GailStanwyck  (2012-12-10 14:12:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The good news is that we'll have no shortage of potential Tiny(s) Tim.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.