ND License Plate Cover
by Vivaflanner (2013-07-23 23:19:19)
Edited on 2013-07-23 23:33:31
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to Back Room ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

My mom bought me one when I graduated, but I only used for a year or two - it didn't make it on to onto my next car.

Every now and again I see it in the garage and consider putting it on, but never do.

For one thing, I like to drive anyonymously. My car is a very common model and has no unique characteristics. I didn't buy such a car for that purpose, but I dont mind at all that there are literally hundred of thousands of similar looking cars out there. Also, I don't care if people on the road know that a Domer is driving ahead of them.

For those who do have an ND license plate or window sticker, why do u display? Asking seriously.

Wife got me a '#1 ND fan' vanity plate when I bought my car.
by gordonbombay  (2013-07-24 18:29:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not crazy about it one way or another, but you pretty much have to use the wife's gift, eh?

I've had plates and or stickers on all my vehicles for
by Ndwineaux  (2013-07-24 14:16:15)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least the past 11 years.
Living 12 miles from AA, I consider them a representative middle finger in their general direction.

father's day present. *
by 84david  (2013-07-24 10:20:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a window sticker, a license plate holder and
by IRISHBURG78  (2013-07-24 09:41:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the pewter ND front plate. Daughter has license plate holder (her license is DOMER10) and a leprechaun spare tire cover on the back of her Jeep Liberty

I have my, apparently illegal, license plate frame.
by BottleOfRed  (2013-07-24 09:32:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As to why, it's really quite simple. My father always taught me to embrace the hate. I live on Tobacco Road so I'll have plenty of opportunities to do just that.

I'm not an alum and have one
by volley  (2013-07-24 09:13:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never would have got it myself because I didn't go to school there. But my 11YO son used his own money to buy it for me for Christmas so there was no way it wasn't going on my van. Then when the van got totaled, it made its way to my new car.

I got pulled over by MI State Troopers for my 02IRISH plate
by ndgenius  (2013-07-24 08:58:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was around midnight in my town and I was going probably 8-10mph over the limit but there were no cars on the road. I was actually racing to Wendy's before it closed (i know, pathetic) and the guy came up to the car asked for lic/reg and said, what's your license plate mean? I said I went to school there and it's my graduation year. The trooper than literally yells back to the girl in the car "he went to school there". He went back to the car for a minute or two and didn't even walk the lic/reg back...he pulled his car up within an inch of mine, handed me the stuff through the windows and said have a good night.

Next time tell him that it means you have slept with 2
by smcchick  (2013-07-24 09:23:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Irish women in your life.

No, you got pulled over for speeding and the officer wanted
by cujays96  (2013-07-24 09:02:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to see if he could smell booze on you.

I'm sure you're right, I don't think I was pulled over
by ndgenius  (2013-07-24 09:59:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because of the plate but it was definitely became some sort of "bet" going on between the troopers in the car once they saw it. I had just had 1 or 2 beers at the hockey rink right before that. Most likely would have passed a breathalyzer but the trooper was really nice and it was a max 5min stop. I've had dickheads make me sweat for 15 min before for stuff like a left at a blinking red only to not give a citation but it gets me nervous.

Gotta' represent! *
by Stonebreaker42  (2013-07-24 08:55:25)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

why, proud to be a ND grad! *
by discNDav  (2013-07-24 08:45:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have the PA ND official plate.
by Stonebreaker9  (2013-07-24 08:19:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My car has been keyed.

I have it to try to balance out the PSU paws everywhere.

This is why I choose not to display ND anything *
by caber  (2013-07-24 11:48:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a leprechaun sticker
by Holtz  (2013-07-24 08:05:00)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To answer your question, it's for the same reason people wear Notre Dame t-shirts. I'm proud of where I went to school.

I'm vastly outnumbered by Duke, UNC, and NC State people.

I still have some Alumni Association stickers that
by rick  (2013-07-24 08:01:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we used to get with our annual donation. I made a lot more annual donations than car purchases.

I have an ND shock decal on my rear window & an ND hockey
by NDFlyer  (2013-07-24 07:25:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

license plate frame on my Yukon. I also have Loyola and SMC shock decals on the rear window. I display all three schools because of the hundreds of thousands of dollars I sent to all three for tuition. I keep reminding myself that there isn't a better investment than a child's education.

The license plate frame is just because I'm a fan.

My buddy's parents had a pretty solid setup.
by Wooderson  (2013-07-24 08:31:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Volvo wagon, Yale on the left side of the rear window brake light, Duke on the right side, and Northwestern across the top because it was such a long name.

Surprised their car never got bashed.

I have a monogram VA license plate
by tenordrum75  (2013-07-24 06:55:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So does my youngest son. In northern VA one sees all kinds of school plates on all varieties of cars. I just love our school despite its many warts, and don't mind it being part of my car, my office, and my home.

I am fortunate that several of my clients like ND even though they have their own schools.

I have a window sticker
by pmoose  (2013-07-24 06:35:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The sticker says "Notre Dame" and has the academic seal (at least the current design when I graduated, it's since been updated) on it. I bought it shortly after I graduated. I put it on the first car I bought, a '99 Honda Civic. I'm still driving that car and the sticker is still there.

That gold/blue (ND) whole plate was given to me. When I
by The Holtz Room  (2013-07-24 02:10:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had my old car (living in IL then and it was illegal both spots), I was never pulled over for it.

I was written a warning for it when I was pulled over for speeding and issued a ticket for that, but I received a call from an atty friend (which I didn't call him first, he must have seen it coming up in traffic court) that the speeding ticket was "lost".

Kept driving that car (Honda Civic, so it blends) with the plate and nothing else ever happened. I might still have it somewhere.

Now I did have an ND Alum frame on my back plate. No one (even the cop) said anything about that.

I have a TD IRISH plate in Seminole country. *
by NicevilleFlIrish  (2013-07-24 00:23:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I use one
by IrishintheD  (2013-07-24 00:15:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not even an alumnus. Came on a car that my dad (ND '70) gave me. Has made it on three since. I live in southeastern Michigan and work in East Lansing. One time somebody wrote something along the lines of "I love Michigan" in the dirt on the bumper, but that's it.
Can't really give you a reason that it keeps making it from car to car, it just does.

I know at least 2 guys w/ ND plates who were keyed near
by Caber  (2013-07-24 00:02:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

....their ND plates....anti ND stuff etc

Anyone else know any ND plates or related vandalized?

Our parish, Notre Dame du Port, is in a tough neighborhood.
by ProV1x  (2013-07-24 06:07:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our pastor lives there and has a rather nice Buick with an ND license plate cover and a large Obama bumber sticker on it. There is no garage at the rectory but no one has ever bothered his car which sits out at night.

I have one.
by GoonSquad  (2013-07-23 23:51:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't go anywhere without seeing a Trojan license plate holder. It's usually while that particular alumnus is cutting me off. I like to remind the other drivers of Los Angeles that one of the few courteous drivers they encounter isn't a Trojan.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.