I struggle with this as a Protestant.
by bizdomer09 (2024-04-16 13:38:24)
Edited on 2024-04-16 13:41:30

In reply to: question for the board theologians  posted by melanzana

I am not a theologian and am not equipped to go deep on this topic. But my thoughts nonetheless...

I think there's more that we don't know than we do. By we, I mean all of us, and I think Christians in particular would do well to be humble on this point.

This paragraph would be considered blasphemy in some circles I've walked in, but I am concerned that supposed grace through uttering a few words based on a feeling at a moment, and then nothing more in life lived and sincere ongoing faith, comes far too cheap to possibly be real. I take nothing for granted with regards to my own salvation. I worry that many evangelical churches serve as country clubs of a sort and not much more. I cringe when so-called Christianity is conflated with MAGA nationalism and associated tribalism and rejection of others, but perhaps that's better for another board.

To address another point raised in this thread... Having left the Catholic faith largely on theological points, I nonetheless wholeheartedly reject the suggestion that Catholicism is not true Christianity. I learned a lot about Christian faith through fellow Christians who are Catholic while at ND... and at times that continues to this day on this board (see ndtnguy below).

Replies: