Goin to New Orleans Jazz Fest next weekend
by crazychester (2024-04-16 10:10:44)

Will be at the festival Friday and Saturday.

Couple of bands that I want to see but will mostly be wandering with some friends.

Anything on the first weekend Friday and Saturday schedule (link) jump out ?

Charles Lloyd on Saturday at 4:10 PM. Jazz. ECM label. Just
by OldIrishFan  (2024-04-16 18:40:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Put out an album on Blue Note. I think he is 90 years old but still making great music.

Preservation Hall, Molly Tuttle, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
by ndtnguy  (2024-04-16 16:51:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's not to bag on any of the smaller regional acts people have mentioned, they're just outside my expertise. I will check them out, though.

I'd love to see Molly Tuttle. . .
by JC_90_94  (2024-04-17 12:00:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She's in Milwaukee - home to me - next month but sadly I will be out of town.

She and Tommy Emmanuel did a UK tour this spring - must have been something to see both of them play.

Here's a few suggestions.
by Keenan4w  (2024-04-16 13:19:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Friday - 1:40 - Economy Hall Jazz Tent - Doreen Ketchens She's a phenomenal clarinet player with a great stage presence. She busks in the Quarter with some regularity, but she's also a world class musician. There are lots of of videos of her on YouTube. Check a few out ahead of time.

Saturday - 2:50 - Blues Tent - Deacon John Old school New Orleans R&B artist. I don't really know how to summarize him other than to say that he's one of the last of his generation. He played my senior prom in the late 90's and killed it.

Saturday - 4:10 - Congo Square - Big Freedia - Self proclaimed Queen Diva of New Orleans bounce music. I don't know your musical taste and bounce music can be a big much for some people, but Big Freedia has been a huge influence on modern hip hop and music broadly. If you've ever seen someone twerk, you've seen the influence of Big Freedia. She didn't invent it, but she helped spread it nationwide.

There are a host of other acts worth checking out, from Irma Thomas to Buckwheat Zydeco to Alex McMurray to the Story ville Stompers, but I'd highlight the three above as some of the best in their own distinct genres of New Orleans music.

I'm a second weekend person, but
by closesttodome  (2024-04-16 12:45:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wouldn't miss seeing Jon Batiste at jazzfest. His show last year was one of the highlights. Second most performers on stage for a show in Jazzfest History. I imagine this year will be more toned down, but should still be fun.

Others on Friday Shamarr Allen at Congo square will be good. Preservation Hall is worth it. I like the economy hall jazz tent as a good break spot, but i also enjoy old timey jazz.

On Saturday I would catch the first half of big Freedia and then go over to Fais do do for the end of Buckwheat Zydeco. Boyfriend is decent. I'm seeing her at a night show 2nd weekend opening for Grace Potter.

Importantly do not miss the food. Crawfish Bread, Soft Shell Crab Po Boy, crawfish enchilada, gumbo. It's hard to go wrong, but those are some of my favorites

I always make a stop at Preservation Hall
by TAR  (2024-04-16 12:39:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I would show up to any performance where the legacy musicians are playing.

Jealous
by Pat85  (2024-04-16 12:36:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Friday - I am a big Jon Batiste fan. I have seen him live a few times at festivals and he never disappoints. I have heard Tuba Skinny is great - I have not seen them live. I am a big fan of the tribute shows, and I agree with another poster who suggested the Gospel Tent even if you are not already a gospel music fan.

Saturday - I like Molly Tuttle and Hurray for the Riff Raff. I like Jason Marsalis as well. The best sets I have seen at Jazz Fest were accidental situations where I ended up at the right tent or stage - you really cannot go wrong with just taking it in that way. Enjoy!

The Revivalists on Friday
by NCIrish05  (2024-04-16 11:39:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just saw them this past Saturday great show.

My favorite is the Gospel tent, and I'm not even religious
by irishnyer  (2024-04-16 11:32:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plus it's a tent to get out of the sun.

I saw Robert Cray a couple decades ago. He's terrific.

The Killers are an excellent show
by irishrock  (2024-04-16 11:17:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

saw them a year ago in St Louis and will see them in August in Las Vegas.

I'm sure there are many fine acts, but that is the one that jumps out at me

I’ve seen them a couple of times
by crazychester  (2024-04-16 13:14:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Always at fest d including Lolla and ACL

Always a great show. A true Rock Star.

Tuba Skinny
by MukIrish  (2024-04-16 10:28:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Far and away our favorite.