Shrewsberry hitting Indiana hard on the recruiting trail....
by supernd (2024-04-24 15:37:34)

He is visiting Trent Sisley today and Zavier Robinson and Braylon Mullins tomorrow. Would be cool of he can get one of them.

Good. Plenty of talent just within 250 miles of South Bend.
by Raoul  (2024-04-25 09:16:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So much of Brey recruiting focus was the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast where he had great contacts.

Except for...
by Kayo  (2024-04-25 15:04:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Colin Falls, Chris Quinn, Luke Harangody, Tory Jackson, Zach Hillesland, Luke Zeller, Carleton Scott, Jack Cooley, Alex Dragisevich, Jon Peoples, Cam Biedscheid, VJ Beachem, Demetrius Jackson, Austin Torres, Rex Pfleuger, John Mooney, Nik Djogo, Robby Carmody, Dane Goodwin, Nate Laszewski, JR Konieczny, Blake Wesley, JJ Starling, and Markus Burton.

Also Parker Friedrichsen and Brady Dunlap, who Brey signed in his last class but decided to go elsewhere when he left ND.

I left out some of the lesser players who didn't have much impact on the program.

I suppose it's still okay to say "so much" recruiting was from the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, but I read insinuation that it was his predominant recruiting turf. It wasn't. As you can see from the list above, many of Brey's best recruits came from the Midwest.

Indy son Chris Thomas? Surely he wasn't a 'lesser player' *
by Radi-skull  (2024-04-25 20:19:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jordan Cornette from his class from OH as well
by Dr Muppet  (2024-04-25 20:47:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perhaps they are considered holdovers from Doherty's recruitment?

Thomas and Cornette were Doherty recruits
by Kayo  (2024-04-25 20:50:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brey had to re-recruit them, but the original contact up to getting commitments was Doherty's work just as Burton's was Brey's work.

I was wondering if maybe that was why you left it off so
by Radi-skull  (2024-04-25 21:28:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Checked.

I trusted google and it let me down

I looked back to see the numbers
by Raoul  (2024-04-25 17:21:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As best I could I reconstructed all his recruiting classes for HS seniors.

Total recruits 63 players (I did not included Friedrichsen or Dunlap as they are Other location-wise)

IL/IN/MI/OH -- 20 players (proxy for 250 miles)

PA -- 6
NJ -- 5
NY -- 3 * I included JJ Staling as IN not NY where he's from
MA -- 6
MD/DC/VA -- 5

Total Core -- 25

Maine/RI/CT -- 4 (Colson, Knight, Abromaitis, Campbell) - Didn't include Markwood...not sure who recruited.

Total Core Plus -- 29

All Other Places -- 14 (California, Texas, FL, etc.)

Total all recruits -- 63

Best I can do with the data I could scrape up via 247 and then where missing press releases. 63 seems about right - about 3 per year. I didn't include any transfers in, just high school recruits.

Who knows what the focus of Shrewsbury will be. I just hope he tries to do better in IL/IN/MI/OH.

am I alone in not caring where recruits come from?
by Lefty 04  (2024-04-25 17:42:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Obviously it's nice to lock down the immediate South Bend area, which ND typically does, but I have no preference for a recruit in Indianapolis or Detroit vs Philly/NYC, Charlotte, Atlanta, Texas, etc.

I want better players. If Shrews decides he can land them in the midwest, so be it.

Exactly. I don't care if recruits come from Zeta Reticuli...
by Wolfetone  (2024-04-26 06:48:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Increasing talent upside is the key.

There is value in recruiting locally
by Nathan  (2024-04-25 19:41:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the portal area, a lot of kids who leave Indiana will look to come back when they enter the portal. And we haven’t exactly had great success in keeping kids from places like California, in any sport. South Bend has a lot of good players and local interest is good for both attendance and player retention. Basketball is also the one sport where Indiana has a boatload of talent. Notre Dame shouldn’t have to go all the way to Tulsa to find Parker Friedrichsen, nor expect him to stick around.

Scott Martin is a good example.
by NDMike2001  (2024-04-26 11:12:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's tough recruiting in IU/PU territory. But the good news is that ND offers something entirely different. And Indiana has a good pool. It's a shame that ND let Butler creep in as a legit competitor for that pool.

Indiana is a tough place for ND to recruit. Especially
by 84david  (2024-04-25 08:34:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with how well Painter is doing at Purdue. Let's see what Shrews can do.

Are any of those three post players? *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-24 17:47:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, but this guy is (link)
by SB JIMBO  (2024-04-24 19:00:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably a Hail Mary, but love the effort

At least Shrewsberry is aiming high. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-24 19:03:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No *
by CrazyMary  (2024-04-24 18:06:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post