Easy to dunk when you are a foot taller than everyone else. *
by Ndwahoo (2024-04-14 11:26:15)

In reply to: Relatively local kid. From LaGrange? Grace College in Warsaw  posted by Homeboy73

This user did not provide content for this post

Big fan of finishing with a dunk instead of a dink around
by Irishdog80  (2024-04-15 12:07:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the basket. That said, a surprising number of "big men" don't dunk that much due to lack of leaping ability, hand size and coordination levels. In the highlight reel, Malone shows leaping ability and sufficient hand size to go up in traffic for one handed dunks with both hands.

Malone looks like a classic late bloomer...in his Grace bio a coach mentions Malone was 6'8" when they recruited him...that grew into a big man while in college. Another comment on-line notes that two NAIA to D1 transfers performed very well for Wyoming and Morehead State this year. Riley Minix of Morehead State was great and Mason Walters for Wyoming was solid. With increased competition in practice, nutrition, D! level strength and conditioning, coaching and another year of maturity, Malone could be a Paul Atkinson level player for the Irish.

Yeah I was hoping to see some ability to score around the
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-15 08:26:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bucket without relying on dunking. He's not going to get those easy opportunities with that amount of frequency. It was not a very useful highlight video to try to gauge how he'd adjust to a better level of competition.

Not a concern for me
by SB Jimbo  (2024-04-15 10:29:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He knew he could easily dunk on the guys guarding him, so why not go for the sure thing? I'm guessing he was coached to dunk whenever he got the ball in the paint.

Obviously it won't be as easy in D1, so he'll have to incorporate the shot you want to see. The fact that he can shoot the 3 tells me it won't be a problem closer in.

Creating and finishing around the rim is a very different
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-16 21:06:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

skill than hitting an outside shot. I also have no idea what his 3 point percentage actually was.

He shot 34% from three. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-16 21:21:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

99/251 (39%) in his Grace career. *
by Mark_It_Zero  (2024-04-17 19:40:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s hard to gauge how he would do against ACC competition.
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-14 15:13:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s what Shrewsberry and his assistants get paid the big bucks for. He is 6’10. He has good footwork around the basket. He dunks when he gets near the basket. He can shoot the three. Can he do all that in the ACC? I don’t know.
Edit to add: He shot 34.1% from three. That would trail only Braden Shrewsberry (37%) for ND.

Granted, it’s nowhere near the ACC
by Mark_It_Zero  (2024-04-14 14:39:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But Grace plays in the best NAIA conference. Half of that conference is low major D1 quality. He played good competition and was insanely efficient.

And 75 pounds heavier. *
by Homeboy73  (2024-04-14 14:04:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll have to take your word on that. *
by 2Domer  (2024-04-14 12:43:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Look at the highlight video *
by Ndwahoo  (2024-04-14 18:10:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post