That's a shocking choice to me
by Freight Train (2024-04-12 10:43:56)

In reply to: sounds like they signed Mark Pope last night  posted by El capitan

That's straight out of the ND hiring an inexperienced coach playbook but has UK ever done this?

Chris Beard would've taken that job in a heartbeat and he's been to a Final Four.

He’s been a head coach for nine years. 295-187 W/L. He
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-12 11:25:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was at Itah Valley for 4 years and BYU for 5. He played at Kentucky. So he has an idea of what he’s getting into in Lexington. I wouldn’t call him inexperienced.

They play an upbeat style of offense. I think this year 50% of their shots were three pointers. We’ll see how he does.

I’m curious as to his personality.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-12 12:07:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He appears to be a pretty buttoned down guy. How will he handle the insanity of the SEC.

I would imagine UK wants to move away from Cal’s 5* one-
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-12 13:38:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and-done model. He seems real even keeled the few times I’ve seen him coach. His Wikipedia says he’s a member of the LDS, for what that’s worth. I have no idea how he’ll deal with the craziness of the SEC. Time will tell.

The entire sport is basically 1 and done nowadays. *
by civil_engr05  (2024-04-12 16:47:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UConn started two seniors, two sophs, and a freshman.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-12 18:00:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It can be done and done at a high level.

I think they’d be fine with it they’d made the Final Four. *
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-12 14:30:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-12 14:37:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post