Per Tom Noie: Burton to enter NBA Draft but leave open
by irishhawk49 (2024-04-11 14:26:52)

I was on campus this weekend and spoke to a source
by IrishOB  (2024-04-17 09:41:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

very close to the team who said this is a technical move to allow him to train this off-season at NBA facilities and there is zero expectation that he will leave.

He was interviewed on the ND Day telethon thing
by 31-30  (2024-04-25 09:11:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

over the past two days and do wonder if they would have included him if he really was headed out the door, this makes sense to me.

The worry is what the feedback says
by Doggie  (2024-04-12 12:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know the timing of entering the portal is for him but the NBA feedback may tell me he needs to be good/better at "x" or "y," and that may drive him to play at a place that lets him do that better than at ND.

Or try to do that here instead of playing w/in the gameplan
by SavageDragon  (2024-04-12 14:23:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think we can all recall LFH's trying to prove he had shooting range.

(Okay, maybe not all of us ... apparently I'm at that age when guys who left ND 15 years ago still feel "recent".)

Critically, his shooting percentage dropped himself out of
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-17 11:00:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NBA desirability as his shot volume went up. He went from shooting .368 on 1.1 attempt per game as a junior to .309 on 2.7 attempts per game as a senior. So it had the opposite effect. Yes, work on the things that the scouts want you to work on. So he should've worked on his outside shot. But the challenge is not to force bad shots. An NBA team would've rather have had the guy who shot .368 on few attempts than the guy who showed that he couldn't be an effective outside shooter if asked to do it more regularly.

Likewise, the NBA wasn't going to value Thomas more highly simply because he shot more from the outside. As a sophomore he shot .385 on 6 attempts per game. And his 2-point average was .416 on 8.8 attempts per game. The next year he chucked two more threes per year but dropped .034 points in average and took .5 less twos. And his assists dropped from 6.7 to 4.7 (though his TOs did drop from 4.2 to 2.4). If he wanted to improve his NBA game, he should've worked on getting better at scoring in the paint and continuing to work on his three-point accuracy. But simply shooting higher volume wasn't going to improve his numbers. Of course, part of this is also loss of supporting cast. However, in Thomas's junior year, Quinn was averaging 14 ppg with a better shooting percentage than Thomas on volume and efficiency not far of Carroll's.

Chris Thomas did the exact same thing *
by fourputtmd  (2024-04-12 14:38:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, that is the concern with Burton.
by 84david  (2024-04-16 08:28:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully, he won't be jacking up Steph Curry logo threes to impress the scouts, and runs the offense.

It’ll be interesting.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-12 12:45:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The NBA drafts on potential and not production. What is his potential in the NBA? Maybe a solid second team guard in 2-3 years? If he were to land with a good team that can stash him on their bench for 2-3 seasons, that would be ideal.

If he does to a bad team that expects him to contribute right away. Well. Let’s not talk about that.

If he was a better 3 point shooter, not that he's bad, he
by DomerJon  (2024-04-12 08:14:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

would go in the 2nd round. He just as everyone has mentioned doesn't measure up at this time.

He’s a 30% three point shooter. He really needs to focus
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-12 13:28:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on that this off-season.

I worry about many things
by Taxman  (2024-04-11 16:07:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but Burton getting drafted isn't one of them.

I'm grateful he didn't also enter the portal concurrently
by garbageplate  (2024-04-11 15:35:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although I'm sure teams are tampering already.

Fudge *
by wiNDycityfan  (2024-04-11 15:18:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is no way he is ready or will be drafted
by JBrock18  (2024-04-11 15:08:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the first two rounds.

The list of impact guards under 6 feet is short.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-11 15:26:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Donovan Mitchell
Trae Young
Darius Garland

It gets pretty sparse after that. That’s not to say he can’t be, but nobody is mistaking him for those three.

A few more historically
by tf86  (2024-04-13 13:05:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And maybe I'm missing some, but ...

Spud Webb
Muggsy Bogues
Charlie Criss
Nate Robinson
Calvin Murphy

Nate Archibald was listed (in the NBA) as 6'1", and his nickname was Tiny.

None of those guys are under 6 feet either *
by Irishaddict  (2024-04-11 15:49:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Posted heights for all levels of basketball are rarely
by Irishdog80  (2024-04-12 15:19:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

accurate. In high school we had a guy that was listed at 6'6"...his hair was that tall, he was 6'3" at best. I went to the Big 12 basketball final between Oklahoma State and Texas Tech in Kansas City back in 2005, John Lucas III, son of John Lucas II, was the point guard for OSU and was listed at 5'11" on the program. I am 6'2", Lucas III walked right by me after the game and I was shocked at how much shorter he was than me...had to be around 5'8" at the tallest. Some guys are measured bare foot, some with shoes on and some request they be listed at a certain height or their coach does it for them. That said, if you can play, you can play.

6’1” and under?
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-11 16:00:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Point being, he’d be a unicorn.

5’11 & 166 lbs. That’s pretty darn small by NBA standards.
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-11 16:09:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope he’s just using this as an opportunity to feedback on his game. And I would guess he’s shorter than 5’11.

I'm 5'11. Having stood next to him twice, swear I'm taller *
by SB Jimbo  (2024-04-11 17:18:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Blake Wesley was listed as 6’5 at ND.Now he’s 6’3 in the NBA
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-11 17:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t think he shrunk.

You mean colleges fudge heights and weights?
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-11 18:04:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m shocked.

How does he stack up to where Wesley was?
by wiNDycityfan  (2024-04-11 15:25:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While his body may not NBA-ready, seems to me he played at that level or better didn’t he?

He stacks up short by a good 7 inches. *
by Kayo  (2024-04-11 19:16:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Blake's ceiling is/was far higher
by mocopdx  (2024-04-11 16:58:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Due to height and length alone. Blake is a better athlete on top of that. While Burton might be the better college player, the NBA drafts on pro potential, not college performance. They're not even close in those terms.

Wesley does one thing well, run and dribble real fast
by DomerJon  (2024-04-12 08:22:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

towards the basket. He's a 20% 3 point shooter and won't be in the league very long doing that.Also, Wesley is on a horrible team and doesn't play a lot. Burton can carve out a longer career if he improves his outside shot just a bit. He has a mid-range game and has shown he can get to the basket among the trees. I see Burton surpassing anything Wesley has or will do, just my opinion.

Wesley’s game has improved this year
by NH74Domer  (2024-04-12 09:18:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s part of a regular rotation off the bench and seems to distributing the ball pretty well judging by his assist numbers. I think he’s fortunate to be playing for Pop.

Seems to be strictly for the eval
by Lefty 04  (2024-04-11 15:17:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even if this draft class is supposed to be historically weak.

Agree. I think he would be wise to play at least one more
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-11 15:11:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

year of CBB. I think that will be the feedback he receives.

Didn’t see that one coming.
by NDMike2001  (2024-04-11 14:54:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gotta think he comes back. But you never know.

Here’s his statement. (link)
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-11 14:35:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting
by Ty Webb  (2024-04-11 15:02:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reading tea leaves seems like he knows he's likely to be back and is only exploring what NBA execs/scouts are saying about his game.

But who knows.

I agree and would be shocked if he left. *
by supernd  (2024-04-11 17:58:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post