Cross Scott Drew’s name off oh the UK wishlist.
by usaf_irish (2024-04-11 12:08:04)

At least for now.

This could get ugly for the Cats.

sounds like they signed Mark Pope last night
by El capitan  (2024-04-12 09:00:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good luck to the man. Lots of crazy at UK at the moment.

That's a shocking choice to me
by Freight Train  (2024-04-12 10:43:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's straight out of the ND hiring an inexperienced coach playbook but has UK ever done this?

Chris Beard would've taken that job in a heartbeat and he's been to a Final Four.

He’s been a head coach for nine years. 295-187 W/L. He
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-12 11:25:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was at Itah Valley for 4 years and BYU for 5. He played at Kentucky. So he has an idea of what he’s getting into in Lexington. I wouldn’t call him inexperienced.

They play an upbeat style of offense. I think this year 50% of their shots were three pointers. We’ll see how he does.

I’m curious as to his personality.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-12 12:07:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He appears to be a pretty buttoned down guy. How will he handle the insanity of the SEC.

I would imagine UK wants to move away from Cal’s 5* one-
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-12 13:38:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and-done model. He seems real even keeled the few times I’ve seen him coach. His Wikipedia says he’s a member of the LDS, for what that’s worth. I have no idea how he’ll deal with the craziness of the SEC. Time will tell.

The entire sport is basically 1 and done nowadays. *
by civil_engr05  (2024-04-12 16:47:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UConn started two seniors, two sophs, and a freshman.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-12 18:00:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It can be done and done at a high level.

I think they’d be fine with it they’d made the Final Four. *
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-12 14:30:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-12 14:37:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chris Beard is perfect for them
by Freight Train  (2024-04-11 19:01:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s only 51, he’s a total scum bag (cultural fit) and he can really coach. I think he’s a perfect fit. Kelvin Sampson would also have been a great cultural and acumen fit, but he’s 68 years old.

From his Wikipedia page.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-11 20:00:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chris Beard spent 10 years coaching at Texas Tech under Bob Knight and his son Pat Knight, often citing the influence of the two men as his keys to success.

You may not care for Knight, but he had an incredible basket
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-11 20:20:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ball mind. He knew how to coach the game.

I’m not speaking of his coaching ability.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-11 20:25:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which is beyond reproach. He’s Top 3 of all time however you slice it.

But he was also an asshole. An incredible bleeding asshole. Not only that, but his coaching chops had clearly diminished when he got to Tech.

Your opinion doesn’t really
by nd67  (2024-04-11 21:35:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

matter but the majority of
his players loved him and
so did his mama.

I heard jesus loves him too.
by Ndwahoo  (2024-04-14 10:05:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But everyone else thought he was an asshole.

I suspect many of his players had stockholm syndrome.

I’d guess Chris Beard learned a lot coaching under Knight
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-11 20:47:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at Texas Tech. That’s my only point.

The last time a blueblood went way down on their list....
by Queensman  (2024-04-11 16:04:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

....Notre Dame lost its first year coach.

Just sayin.

Actually, that's not gonna happen here. Shrews has zero connection to that school and Kentucky fans would start a war over his thin record.

Reportedly a bad fit
by mocopdx  (2024-04-11 13:04:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You don't just have to be a good coach at Kentucky, you have to be a big personality and willing to play ball with all the boosters and influencers. Drew is not that kind of guy.

It’s going to be a tough pull for them.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-11 15:30:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A good coach who’ll put up with all that bullshit? Good luck.

With Donovan and Drew both saying no, you’d have to think that they’re already into their B list candidates.

Rick Pitino seems like a guy who would take it. *
by MobileIrish  (2024-04-11 17:27:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was thinking the same thing. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-11 20:21:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hear Juwan Howard’s got some free time *
by graNDfan  (2024-04-11 16:04:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s something that I would love to see.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-11 18:03:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His temper and their fan base. Chef’s kiss.

I get why they wanted to get rid of Calipari....
by supernd  (2024-04-11 12:53:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They probably got sick of one and done. The problem is of Calipari recruited the way Jay Wright or Dan Hurley does and had the exact same record for 12 years or whatever it was....they would still want him gone. Those folks are crazy and the money grab is the only reason to coach there.