NDMBB posted a video today of players and Micah S
by ND84 (2024-04-02 21:46:35)

thanking the fans for their support this year. JR, Roper, young Shrews and Imes are in the video. Am I being a paranoid bedwetter in pointing out that Markus Burton is not in the video? Losing Booth would suck, losing Burton would be a stomach punch.

Link below.

Noie said all the players recorded something
by El Kabong  (2024-04-04 10:13:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The editors took what they felt were the best responses.

Well that is an obvious bad look.
by 2ndstreeter  (2024-04-03 12:06:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hard to believe that the program would put out a promo like that without their star player unless there are some mitigating circumstances.

“Losing Booth would suck”
by wiNDycityfan  (2024-04-03 10:15:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you saying there’s something going on about this?

I know nothing other than he is in the portal, which likely
by ND84  (2024-04-03 10:48:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

won't end well for ND.

Didn’t know he was in the portal. That explains it *
by wiNDycityfan  (2024-04-03 22:21:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree that generally speaking there's nothing paranoid
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-04-03 09:50:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about being concerned about ND's ability to keep someone like Burton. NIL is obviously a huge factor but even putting that aside ND reached 6k in attendance in less than half their home games this year. When we went to UNC this year we played in front of nearly 22k fans, which is the norm for them. Could you really blame someone like Burton for being tempted to go be a part of that if given the opportunity, especially when it comes with more money and a realistic chance to compete for a national title?

Well, what about the top ranked team that recruited and
by DomerJon  (2024-04-03 21:26:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

where he ended up signing. The Appalachian State, Ball state, Miami ohio offer list isn't very impressive. ND obviously took a chance on him and it paid off. Maybe he should reward them by staying.

That's certainly my hope and if he does he could end up
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-04-04 09:16:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

being one of the most beloved players in program history both for what he likely will achieve on the court as well as for passing up on some attractive opportunities to move on.

As someone had mentioned it's all become very transactional so I'm at the point where if someone in a position like Burton is embraces loyalty I'll view it as a pleasant surprise and not something I expect.

No, that is true as well. He most likely could have gone
by DomerJon  (2024-04-04 16:23:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to one of the smaller programs I mentioned, done well and decided to move along to a better opportunity.

and we lost 20 games. *
by Tex Francisco  (2024-04-03 10:59:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The SEC is certainly going to throw NIL
by combodraw  (2024-04-03 09:33:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at any player they think can help. Arkansas just outbid us for a transfer that ND clearly wanted. Players are unlikely to take significantly less money to play at ND, especially with no track record of recent success.

Unfortunately agreed,& money has helped lift the conference
by Irish2003  (2024-04-04 11:28:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do find it amusing that their flagship school in Kentucky has had about as many NCAA wins as a rebuilding ND despite 25 win seasons and draft picks left & right, but it is depressing to see the broader rise of the conference where it previously seemed like a distant #2 to football, similar to much of the ACC with football. I think you're 100% correct on NIL, and others have mentioned TV money has helped them elevate their budgets and programs on the official athletic department side too.

-Florida understandably tailed off after Donovan, but looks to be somewhat stabilized again
-Barnes has done a great job at Tennessee, another former "football-first" school.
-Arkansas has been a solid program, but being able to bring Musselman with NBA experience was nice
-Alabama actually had a better historical track record than I expected, but was a Mars-level distance from the importance they place on football. They've unfortunately now made a Final Four and are recruiting well, and seeing them being able to outbid more established programs like Ohio State, Michigan, & Louisville to keep Oats was a surprise.
-Auburn was a middling program, but Pearl elevated them to a pretty
consistent team, and also made a Final Four
-South Carolina was another afterthought since the McGuire days other than that out of nowhere Final Four, but has become solid
-Vandy has struggled for most of my life with an occasional run, but did make a nice under the radar hire in Byington, whom I thought would have better offers.

The one that has always stumped me is UGA, as the flagship in a talent-laden state with no real in-state competition, a fairly open conference until recently, booster money out the wazoo, and the sort of school that in theory (for example, Duke football will only go so far) could excel at both, but they're closer to a Central Texas in basketball than a UT.

I think to a large extent success doesn't mean nearly
by chicos bail bonds  (2024-04-03 13:46:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what it used to mean to many players. I think the coach and ability to get playing time are the greatest factors.

Players and coaches must now always be paranoid
by Raoul  (2024-04-03 08:58:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so wondering about that is not irrational at all. Every day players you thought would stay at certain schools (even where they are successful) leave. And why not? Coaches leave. NIL offers arise. New players transfer in (or rumors there of) thus disrupting what you thought your future was looking to be. Or other players on your team transfer out affecting what you thought the future prospects of your team for winning would be.

Every year is a stand alone opportunity to maximize playing time, team winning and NIL...for each player. And very few coaches can you assume will be around for more than the next 2 years (at least with Shrews, you can probably assume 2 years).

This mess is what everyone deserves.

P.S. The Ivy League has the best system now. You get a great education and more importantly entrance into a world class alumni network. They don't have transfers in to take your place as a player. Coaches tend to stick around. If you succeed as a player, you can always leave early or take a 5th year elsewhere. And if you are good, the pro leagues will find you.

well now i am *
by DBCooper  (2024-04-03 08:42:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post