The roster is a year-to-year exercise now, and it's awful
by Lefty 04 (2024-04-01 16:51:33)

In reply to: His dad made 40MM in the NBA and is currently an NBA GM.  posted by SavageDragon

The idea of roster continuity is a quaint notion. You lose role players and bench/depth guys who don't quite pan out because they don't play enough. You lose emergine players for more $ or a better platform or whatever. And then there is the opportunity to pick through other teams' churn for upgrades.

Add it all up, and any team is going to look pretty different from one season to the next. It's exhausting, and makes for a much less compelling product to follow IMO.

It's all basically transactional at this point
by garbageplate  (2024-04-02 09:37:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which is antithetical to the concept of amateurism that, for many, made the sport appealing as an alternative to the pros.

I agree. *
by NDde  (2024-04-02 04:58:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1200 kids in the portal
by Nathan  (2024-04-01 20:32:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A few kids will get paid but for the most part the NIL market is not in their favor.

I agree with you 100% It makes for a less than desirable
by DomerJon  (2024-04-01 20:07:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

experience overall. For fans that really follow the program especially. I bet there are many player that regret leaving their first commitment as well. Grass isn't always greener.

People like to rag on the NCAA a lot here and rightfully so on many instances. However, too many times the Lawyers have changed the rules for them and it makes what we have now.

Those big bad Lawyers! What are the schools to do!?!
by pmoose  (2024-04-02 08:14:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope the schools aren't too damaged making millions off these student-athletes...

Sorry for the sarcasm, and I hate what the NIL world has done to rosters at the collegiate level, but the colleges and universities own this problem more than any other group...

I'm not even talking about the money. I'm talking about
by DomerJon  (2024-04-02 21:03:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Simple rules like you get one free transfer. Not move anytime you want bullshit. These guys ain't the pros. It's sad what it's become in a short period of time.

It hasn’t been the same since one and done.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-02 21:16:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leave it the NBA and the NBAPA to come up with the worst possible rule that they could. It would have been so much simpler, and better, to either eliminate the requirement to wait one year or adopt the MLB rule that you could go straight to the pros or have to wait three years.

Instead, they came up with the worst possible solution. Now the NBA wants to apply the same logic that started the downward spiral to youth basketball.

It’s enough to make you think that they’re trying to intentionally ruin American basketball.