Burns has been a problem for all teams so far
by pmoose (2024-04-01 08:40:23)

In reply to: DJ Burns was quite a problem for Duke.  posted by irishhawk49

And with as much contact as they've let go in this post-season, I'm not surprised they allow him to keep backing down his man. I have seen a lot more other things being let go that I would want called before what Burns is "getting away with", so to speak.

Duke tried to use the strategy of not doubling Burns, because the teams that have doubled Burns most the time so far have gotten burned (pun intended). It was looking like they might be able to use that strategy and win, but NC State was able to throw Duke off their offensive rhythm in the second half, and Burns was able to score easily when they didn't double him and find the open man when they did.

Now against Purdue, I imagine they will try to not double and count on Edey to be able to defend Burns. Despite Burns's size, he's quicker than Edey so will be able to get to the rim against Edey. However, with Edey's length, he may be able to recover and block Burns after Burns beats him. I think Purude will win that battle and it will be the difference in who wins on Saturday, but I have enjoyed adopting NC State as my team that I have been following during this NCAA tournament (a good friend of mine graduated from there).

Replies: