DJ Burns was quite a problem for Duke.
by irishhawk49 (2024-03-31 21:52:04)
Edited on 2024-03-31 22:59:25

He gets away with a couple push offs. No question there.

But Duke apparently had no Plan B for stopping Burns. They just let him keep backing his man down to the low block (called a ‘Barkley move’ in basketball parlance). Duke never sent a second defender until about the 8 minute mark of the second half.

I know he’s an excellent passer but you have to try something different. Kudos to NC St I guess.

Burns had 29 points on 13/19 fg’s.

With Scheyer as coach, Dook is no longer able to
by 84david  (2024-04-01 12:28:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

flop and get a charge call on every entry pass into the paint.

I think that will be quite a hindrance without Coach K (whose teams seemed to get every one of those calls) for them to be a perennial final 4 team again.

I'm not convinced Scheyer is a great coach yet
by El Kabong  (2024-04-01 14:52:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Duke recruits as Duke recruits, but....

Of course he’s not a great coach yet.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-01 17:48:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wasn’t aware that anyone thought that he was.

So you're saying Burns' performance was
by Jess  (2024-04-01 09:36:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Burns has been a problem for all teams so far
by pmoose  (2024-04-01 08:40:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And with as much contact as they've let go in this post-season, I'm not surprised they allow him to keep backing down his man. I have seen a lot more other things being let go that I would want called before what Burns is "getting away with", so to speak.

Duke tried to use the strategy of not doubling Burns, because the teams that have doubled Burns most the time so far have gotten burned (pun intended). It was looking like they might be able to use that strategy and win, but NC State was able to throw Duke off their offensive rhythm in the second half, and Burns was able to score easily when they didn't double him and find the open man when they did.

Now against Purdue, I imagine they will try to not double and count on Edey to be able to defend Burns. Despite Burns's size, he's quicker than Edey so will be able to get to the rim against Edey. However, with Edey's length, he may be able to recover and block Burns after Burns beats him. I think Purude will win that battle and it will be the difference in who wins on Saturday, but I have enjoyed adopting NC State as my team that I have been following during this NCAA tournament (a good friend of mine graduated from there).

I expect Kauffman-Renn to be guarding Burns. *
by Jeash  (2024-04-01 16:14:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That will be a good matchup. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-01 17:05:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Foul trouble for either will tell the tale. *
by doug dascenzo  (2024-04-01 12:52:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had a similar situation in HS against an all-state OL...
by ndgenius  (2024-04-01 11:14:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was probably 6' and 270lbs and I was 6'4 and a twig. I could not do anything to get around him but when he was able to get around me, I was able to recover and block his shot. I actually came close to a school record for blocked shots that night with 8 blocks. With Edey's length I think he'll easily be able to do the same thing and I think he'll be able to neutralize Burns.

It’s the most interesting matchup in the tournament.
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-01 11:14:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m generally down on Edey. I think his footwork is mediocre at best and he relies too much on length and size to make up for his general lack of athleticism. Nothing I’ve seen from him this year makes me believe that’s ever going to change.

Burns can out quick him with little to no effort. But that length is going to be a huge problem.

If I’m NC State, I’m spending the first 5-7 minutes of the game going right at him to see if I can draw some cheap fouls and get him on the bench and let Burns cook.