Open Practice
by Tinley Park Irish (2017-09-10 00:21:39)

Did anyone go to the practice today? Any insights?

Here you go
by Bobnd80  (2017-09-10 00:49:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A team of Rex, Bonzie, Geben, Djogo, and Prentiss Hubb held the court for the first four games. Geben was assertive early and backed down Mooney for a couple of easy baskets. Hubb is smart, under control, can shoot the three and did not look out of place at all even when he played head to head against DJ. Djogo made a lot of threes - he was the biggest surprise for me.

Laszewski is a player. He can shoot the three, handle the ball and he seemed to enjoy the competition. Guarded Connaughton in one game and more than held his own. The crowd reacted more to his good play than anyone else.

Only saw Carmody and Goodwin play one game and neither did much. They have some work to do where I think laszewski and hubb can step in right away.

Rex was more aggressive with his outside shot and he made about half of his threes. Farrell and Gibbs went hard to the basket and both were strong finishers and passers.

Of the other bigs, Durham has the most potential but really none of them stood out to me. I was most disappointed in DJ Harvey's mid range shooting. Maybe just an off day, but by what I saw Djogo is better offensively than DJ and it isn't that close.

Will be interested in hearing what others thought. Bball season can't get here soon enough after more heartbreak across the road tonight.

Did we sign Laz? *
by drmurray  (2017-09-10 19:53:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No commitment yet
by Kayo  (2017-09-11 08:06:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has a visit to Wake Forest scheduled, so we might have to wait another week or so; but I won't be shocked if something good happens sooner and the Wake visit gets cancelled.

Basis for optimism
by fishyou  (2017-09-11 09:17:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What is the basis for your optimism? Hope you are correct as that would be fantastic.

Gut feeling, not any specific inside information.
by Kayo  (2017-09-11 12:02:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do know the staff is optimistic about Laszewski, but that isn't driving me. I simply see that ND and Laszewski are a great fit.

1. Laszewski attends a private college prep high school. Nobody will be able to tell him that balancing ND's academic demands with basketball is too hard.

2. It would be hard not to like the potential teammates. This is an outstanding group of guys.

3. It's hard not to like the ND coaches. Brey is as good as it gets; and Humphrey, who would be Laszewski's position coach, makes one hell of a good impression on people.

4. He'd be joining an already outstanding recruiting class, so he knows the program will continue to succeed and might be in for a golden era.

5. He fills a need at Notre Dame, so he will play early if he does his part.

I could say many of the same things about Wake Forest. Danny Manning is doing a nice job building the program; and from watching Wake play, I think he's a good coach. However, Wake already has a five star commitment at Laszewski's position; and despite having the visit scheduled, Manning hedged his bet by offering a juco forward last week even though he only has one scholarship left.

My tea leaves say it will be Notre Dame.

FWIW I see WF leads the Crystal Ball
by Ajax  (2017-09-11 16:03:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for this forward.

Not sure about a JUCO being recently offered.

These are the offered forwards listed for them per VC (they have less a chance with Williamson than ND has with Shittu):

Zion Williamson
Jaylen Hoard(VC)
Isaiah Mucius
Hunter Tyson
Nate Laszewski
Nate Roberts
Jairus Hamilton
Akuwovo 'Savior' Ogeneyole
Tyrese Samuel
Kevin Obanor

You mean for the JUCO forward?
by domerdan_2006  (2017-09-11 17:00:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND leads 90/10 in the Crystal Ball for Laz

Per my CB link, WF leads 75/25 for 6'8 Forward Isaiah Mucius
by Ajax  (2017-09-11 18:39:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2018 recruit, not a JUCO.

Thank you for the insight on this
by bobnd80  (2017-09-11 14:58:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was clear during the scrimmage that he was having a good time interacting with the other players and the alumni. Had to be fun for him going up against an NBA player and hearing the reception he got from the crowed. Rex gave him some special attention as well. I can see Hubb and Laszewski being All conference down the road if they develop as I expect they will.

DjoGo ND's mystery man *
by Ajax  (2017-09-10 15:42:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was biggest surprise for me...
by Norm  (2017-09-10 16:46:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I knew he had some athleticism, but he looked vastly improved offensively.

How many fans were there when you were ? *
by Tim Kelley  (2017-09-10 14:17:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1k-2k is my guess when I was there.
by btd  (2017-09-10 15:14:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

DJ was by far the most impressive one on the floor.

DJ was impressive
by Bobnd80  (2017-09-10 15:34:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But more on breakaways and dunks than outside shooting. The best three point shooter was Djoko . Bonzie is clearly the best current player. Agree on crowd. Probably 2,000 in total with 1,200 to 1,400'at any given time.

There wasn't much structure, but Djoko's shot was
by btd  (2017-09-11 00:26:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

extremely good. If he can consistently shoot anywhere near that level he is going to be our 6th man this year.

He has four years of eligibility left
by Kayo  (2017-09-11 08:10:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While there is plenty of time to get the spelling right, we probably ought to start working on it now. We've seen that the full four years wasn't enough time for many fans to spell Beachem's name correctly.

It's Djogo. No "k".

Don't get me started on "Vastoria"
by SavageDragon  (2017-09-11 13:56:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To say nothing of "Vast Iris", of course.

Spelling HOF for that one. Thanks for the memory. *
by SB Jimbo  (2017-09-11 15:08:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My fault
by bobnd80  (2017-09-11 09:44:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I fixed it in my post that started the incorrect spelling.

No problem, I'm still working on Cornett vs Cornette *
by SB Jimbo  (2017-09-11 10:03:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Heck, I still struggle with Myron Schuckman. *
by campuszoo  (2017-09-12 18:24:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Myron Schuckman still struggles with Myron Schuckman *
by Kayo  (2017-09-12 19:58:31)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I propose resolving this new problem by declaring he has
by Tim Kelley  (2017-09-11 12:57:57)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

family roots in Venice and calling him The Doge.

Rick and Jordan, respectively.
by Kayo  (2017-09-11 12:03:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(I think)

Yup...or is it Yep? *
by SB Jimbo  (2017-09-11 12:42:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the most impressive thing I saw yesterday was...
by doug dascenzo  (2017-09-10 12:22:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the fitness. I was courtside, and we have a bunch of guys that have profoundly transformed their bodies. TJ Gibbs looks to have cut 15 pounds. Geben is much thinner and more nimble. Farrell is stronger. Mooney leaner. Burns is bigger.

Beyond the in-game benefits of such gains, it also shows a genuine level of commitment and represents a lot of work put in, which isn't always a given with 19 year olds.

I think it means they believe they're going to be good.

agreed, it took me awhile to tell that Gibbs was Gibbs *
by NDFaninMadTown  (2017-09-11 15:37:24)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially in comparison
by Bobnd80  (2017-09-10 17:37:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To the recruits. Pretty clear that all of the incoming guys (other than Harvey) need to hit the weights and go through the conditioning program that Gibbs and the others went through.

They're still in high school, right? *
by beancounter  (2017-09-10 17:42:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most are
by Bobnd80  (2017-09-11 21:51:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Carmody, Goodwin, Laszewski and Hubb are seniors in HS and as you would expect, they can use the makeover that Gibbs went through this offseason. Harvey is a freshman and he looks to be in great shape while Durham, the transfer can use the year off to hit the weights and get stronger.

Interesting observations. Thanks. *
by 2Domer  (2017-09-10 11:53:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post