tough week for legendary coaches
by cujaysfan (2017-08-30 12:16:58)

RIP Jud Heathcote - and have heard through the grapevine that Rollie Massimino has entered hospice.

Now reporting Rollie passed of lung cancer
by trout  (2017-08-30 18:08:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never will forget their '85 upset of Georgetown. That game really helped popularize the tourney.

The Hoyas were huge favorites with Ewing et. al.

That was the first year of the brackets as we know them
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-08-30 20:01:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was the first 64-team field. As late as 1974, the tournament had only 25 teams.

Which is a really weird number *
by Rosecrea  (2017-09-01 11:43:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The weirdest thing to me
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-09-01 17:23:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was that the tournament started while 6 conferences still were concluding their regular seasons and the ACC was having its conference tournament (the only one in existence at the time). Those 7 conference champions each were seeded straight to the Sweet 16 on a regional basis: the ACC champ to the East Regional, the Big Ten and SEC to the Mideast, the Big Eight and Missouri Valley to the Midwest, and the Pac-8 and the West Coast Athletic Conference (now the WCC) to the West. Conferences like the SWC and WAC had to play on the tournament's opening Saturday, just like the MAC, Ohio Valley, etc. The East region had 7 teams (6 playing in 3 games on the opening Saturday) and the other 3 regions had 6 each (4 playing in 2 games on the opening Saturday; no Sunday games until 1977 or 1978).

On the first day of the 1974 NCAAs, ND destroyed Austin Peay, 108-66, while Indiana and Michigan won their regular season finales to end in a tie for the Big Ten championship. In those days, each conference got only one bid, so the Big Ten was decided in a one-game playoff the following Monday night at a neutral site -- Champaign, Illinois. IU was favored, but the Skunkweasels pulled the upset, and three nights later they stunned a 25-2 ND team in the Mideast Regional semifinal.

I attended the game against Austin Peay in beautiful Terre
by Rosecrea  (2017-09-05 12:56:21)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Haute. Austin Peay led by playground legend Fly Williams (who I believe led the NCAA in scoring that year), making the standard Ausin Peay cheer "Let's Go Peay" even funnier when preceded by "The Fly is Open, Let's Go Peay!"

It was a double header with Marquette and Maurice Lucas, et al beating the Ohio Bobcats on their way to the Final Four and the National Championship game. We, on the other hand, had beaten 3 of the 4 Final four teams, yet lost to Michigan, of all people, as you so cruelly reminded everyone!

This is how I feel about the old bowl system
by Bluengold07  (2017-09-01 20:38:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And in 30 years what people will say about the BCS.

Rollie passed -- Who's going to be the third?
by bluengold07  (2017-08-30 16:06:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Knight?

Denny Crum had, what's being called, a mild stroke Thurs. *
by SB Jimbo  (2017-09-01 09:29:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It'll be you
by ShermanOaksND  (2017-08-30 19:59:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if he hears you calling him "Knight." (For those who don't know, Knight was fired from IU on a "last chance" agreement when he reacted angrily to some kid who called him "Knight.")

Boeheim? *
by GolfJunkie17  (2017-08-30 18:10:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Geez. It is not ok to root for another human being to die.
by RedIrish  (2017-08-31 15:49:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But then again, there's the Boeheim Exemption.

I'm using mine on Knight *
by Bluengold07  (2017-08-31 18:20:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So we have a CBB coach death watch now?
by Ajax  (2017-08-30 16:23:27)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eddie Sutton, Norm Stewart, Lefty Driesell, and Lou Henson likely leading the pack.

FWIW just came across that Brey and Alford currently have the same amount of wins (481).

I had Jud for a P.E. class as a freshman at Wazzo.
by Dennis  (2017-08-30 14:40:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coed badminton. He was a kick.