Who the best ref? Coaches vote TV Ted 3rd. (link)
by SB Jimbo (2017-08-29 12:41:51)
Edited on 2017-08-29 12:43:00

He's consistently rated as one of the top refs
by crazymary  (2017-08-29 17:15:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I understand people don't like his style and some of his on-court antics but he gets a bad rap from people who think he's a poor ref.

He's consistently very good compared to most of his coworkers. I'd sign up for him every game if possible.

Go back and watch ND/Winthrop from 2007
by bluengold07  (2017-08-30 09:30:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And get back to me.

I just changed my mind
by crazymary  (2017-08-30 12:32:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

despite what head coaches and advanced metric guys report.

You want me to watch one-game from a fucking decade ago? You've been at your best every single day of work for the past decade? You expect every referee to be perfect. On every single play.

Most every person will agree Brey is a great coach. I'd imagine, there's been a bunch of games in his tenure where you've said to yourself "wtf is he doing, put "x" player back in the game or get "x" player out now" or whatever the case might be.

Good grief, I'm certain you know more about rating refs than the head coaches, conferences and advanced metric statisticians who actually evaluate the referees every season. Guys like Eades, Ayers, Valentine, Luckie etc have the biggest games of the year (big TV, high notoriety games) for a reason. It's not because they are viewed as trash or because they're charging a cheap $500 rate. But they are highly watched games where mistakes happen and can be magnified. You've probably never even heard of Verne Harris despite him regularly being rated incredibly high. It's because he's based out on the west coast and doesn't like to go all over the country so gets very few high-profile games due to location. How many high-profile PAC 12 games are there yearly? He also does a ton of Mountain West games.

The problem is most fans (fanatics) are irrational when it comes to officiating and coaching. For that matter, irrational regarding the players too. Miss a call or draw up a terrible play and "x" is the worst!

The fact that coaches regularly request their AD people to line up Valentine and metric guys like KenPom consistently rate him out really well says a bit more than your single-sample from a decade ago.

Damn, I just lost a bet. I had under 0.5 for the number
by Carlos Huerta  (2017-08-31 10:23:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of times I would read a passionate defense of Ted Valentine in my life. Your argument probably has merit but I don't blame people for having a particular dislike for guys like Ted, Hess, Mike Stuart, Joe West in baseball who thumb their nose at their responsibility to remain unemotional.

sometimes a**holes are good at their jobs
by cujaysfan  (2017-08-30 13:36:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ted valentine is an asshole

that said - there are certain coaches that he probably favors - and others that he more than likely disfavors - and that could color perception of him

but - overall - there are a lot of other guys that i'd rather not see over tv ted working a game i was invested in watching

He was blackballed from the entire Big East
by bluengold07  (2017-08-30 16:15:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That indicates to me that he may be both an asshole and suck at his job.

If I'm wrong about this, I'll be happy to admit it. But I'm almost positive that many years ago the (old) Big East coaches got together at media day and decided that he was so bad that they didn't want him officiating any league games.

is he still blackballed?
by cujaysfan  (2017-08-30 16:20:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

trying to remember if he's worked any BE games since the split - but hell - i can't remember what yesterday's lunch was

Nice quote
by ndmd89  (2017-08-29 16:32:04)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Whether he has something against the other coach, which he certainly could, I don't care because he's giving us a fair shake."
I'm not sure that's the definition of a fair shake.