Successful coaches who operate within the rules (link)
by Kayo (2017-08-24 12:58:05)
Edited on 2017-08-24 14:22:28

I don't see Coach K or any of his former assistants at the top of the list.

And the joke is: Beilein bought his votes for first. *
by Notra_Dahm  (2017-08-30 17:33:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm surprised Jay Wright isn't near the top 10. Are there
by bleedsgreen04  (2017-08-27 18:29:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

any strange coincidences or circumstances around some of his recruits that I'm not aware of in some way? Or is it a lot of jealousy over the recent championship?

It's not a top 10. Coaches just picked 1 guy.
by civil_engr05  (2017-08-30 11:25:36)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So Wright just wasn't anyone's top choice. Doesn't mean he's not in their top 10.

I'd like to see the poll for football.
by Naughman  (2017-08-25 12:41:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wonder if they could even come up with 5 coaches while keeping a straight face.

I was thinking the same
by Irish2003  (2017-08-28 13:06:41)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brey is truly one of the gems in the game (one of the announcers made a comment during the '16 tournament along the lines of what recruit would not want to play for him), and Beilein seems like a genuinely good guy from the one time I chatted with him & ~15 years of watching his teams, even if he is at a school I cannot stand. The rest of that list looks very much in line with what I would have guessed, and I also figure Brad Stevens would be on that list if he was still coaching in college.

As you inferred & others mention below, I agree a similar college football list would be a heckuva lot harder, and I think it might be hard to come up with a list of just decent guys let alone ones who are Brey-esque where no one dislikes them. Among the top teams from the preseason poll, Swinney, Peterson, & Shaw seem like decent guys who win, Chryst & Fuentes are still too early in their careers, Richt & Helton might be like Beilein as decent guys at schools I loathe, Strong seems like a good guy but faceplanted at UT, and I'm at a loss to come up with more. D'Antonio is a tricky one as I think he seems like a good guy & has won (Stoops would be in this category if he hadn't retired), but they've also had some off-field incidents IIRC.

Edits- bleedsgreen04 brought up a few more that I also agree with
-Cutcliffe turned a Duke program that was barely 1-AA into a team that won 6-8 games. They'll never be confused for a power school, but he has outpaced their non-Spurrier historical norms and seems like a good guy - I always wonder if he could have had the gravitas to keep Weis in check when things went awry.
-Fitzgerald: NU wasn't that bad, but he's been pretty consistent and also runs a clean program
-Snyder: I don't fault him for the JuCo's given their program, and IIRC they've been pretty clean off the field too.

IMO it's a lot tougher to do for basketball. *
by bleedsgreen04  (2017-08-27 18:28:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd be interested to see your list of football coaches. *
by Naughman  (2017-08-29 12:43:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cutcliffe, Snyder, Shaw, Fitzgerald, Peterson, Patterson.
by bleedsgreen04  (2017-08-29 20:25:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just to name a few that are both successful and I very much doubt are cheating in any way. I'm sure there's several dozens more from teams that stink. I honestly don't think it's that bad from schools outside of the SEC and maybe 6-7 other schools.

Snyder clearly doesn't belong.
by Naughman  (2017-08-31 12:56:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You don't win at Kansas State by doing things the right way, ever. To wit:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/kansas-state-coach-bill-snyders-vindictive-petty-decision-speaks-to-a-larger-problem/

I'll grant you Shaw and Peterson, although Shaw is largely bound by where he coaches. I question whether he would operate on the up-and-up in a job where he had more free will.

Fitzgerald is neither a quality coach nor individual. His extended tenure is largely the product of modest expectations.

I like Patterson but question whether or not he's that clean. I certainly wouldn't put on the same level as someone like Brey.

If you think it's not that bad outside of the SEC, then you're just not paying attention. Urban Meyer is a confirmed dirtbag who allowed all sorts of shit to go on at Florida unpunished. Bob Stoops has regularly put kids on the field who have assaulted women. Jim Harbaugh has yet to meet a corner he couldn't cut. Most of the conferences are lousy with coaches from the Pete Carroll "see no evil, hear no evil" philosophy to player management.

Subject line is very wrong.
by bleedsgreen04  (2017-09-01 09:45:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hadn't seen that (extremely recent) article you linked, but yeah, prior to this you'd have a hell of a lot of difficulty finding any dirt on Snyder.

What makes this all so ironic is that Snyder is easily Brey's closest analogue in college football: a guy who consistently gets the most out of lesser recruits. Hopefully Brey has now broken out of that "lesser recruits" slump.

As to Fitzgerald, he was just one of dozens of examples I could have used as a guy who doesn't cheat, I wasn't talking about his personality. Let's pick, say, Kirk Ferentz as an example.

As for your last paragraph, you pretty much named the 3 dudes anyone would think of when it comes to scumminess or cutting corners in CFB.

My main point was that college basketball is at least as bad as college football, if not worse, when it comes to cheating and cutting corners.

There was Ty, Moulder of Men. *
by Tim Kelley  (2017-08-25 19:17:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of B1G coaches on this *
by fontoknow  (2017-08-24 16:23:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tony Bennett's dad coached at Wisconsin as well. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-08-24 18:58:19)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Might have something to do with conference rules and
by Tim Kelley  (2017-08-24 18:45:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

degree of tolerating transgressions. Don't really know.

Izzo shouldn't be there *
by iudomer  (2017-08-24 16:40:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see a Coach K assistant at #2 *
by DakotaDomer  (2017-08-24 15:19:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good point
by Kayo  (2017-08-24 16:11:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1995-95 was Brey's last season at Duke. Krzyzewski is living on the program's reputation for integrity back in those days. There are coaches and programs with mucc less integrity than K and Duke, but it isn't the same today as it was back then.

I was thinking of the more recent ascendants to head coaching positions - Dawkins, Wojo, and Collins. Ammaker isn't at a high major school anymore, so he's in the harmless category.

Seems like Jay Wright should have done better *
by catripledomer  (2017-08-24 14:22:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

8 coaches
by tb-sb  (2017-08-24 14:04:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Got 72+% of the vote. The other 340+ averages 8/100 of 1 % each.

"High-major," so it isn't 340.
by Kayo  (2017-08-24 14:29:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would guess we're looking at about 65 from the major conferences plus programs in the Big East, A-10, AAC, CUSA, WCC, Horizon, Mountain West, MVC, and MAC... maybe not even a couple of those.

If they went further, Bob McKillop should have been there. *
by 73CAV  (2017-08-26 18:05:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow those percentages are low. *
by ndmd89  (2017-08-24 13:23:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe the voters could only pick 1 coach.
by HolyCrossHog  (2017-08-24 13:56:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They surveyed 100 coaches. Each voter could choose 1 coach. I'm guessing not everyone made a choice so the percentage you see was how many votes a coach got out of the total cast, probably somewhere in the 90's. So Beilein probably got about 26 votes and Brey got 10.

Only one coach could be chosen per participant
by Old Fogey  (2017-08-24 13:56:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not like they asked the participating coaches "Name me all of the coaches you think run a clean program" The people who participated could only mention the coach they think runs the cleanest one.

Where's Calipari? *
by mocopdx  (2017-08-24 12:58:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or K? *
by cujaysfan  (2017-08-24 13:42:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post