OT. Thoughts on celtics and Cleveland trade ?
by LAW83 (2017-08-22 19:53:30)

One thing certain. Brooklyn got fleeced.

Warriors: yawn. *
by 84david  (2017-08-23 08:33:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Phenomenal deal
by KHADDAFI  (2017-08-22 22:53:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kyrie is superb and well worth the money/max deal.

IMO, Thomas is not a max player (one year left on deal) and will not last long at his current level, given his size and nature of game. He cannot guard. Because of his size, he struggles against elite defensive teams during the last four minutes (or so) of games. He is not Iverson. He is not worth a 4-5 year max deal.

The Celtics' roster will take some time to gel, but Brad Stevens has demonstrated terrific ability and growth as a coach.

The money aspects of the Celtics moves this summer cannot be underestimated. IT and Avery Bradley were seeking huge dollars. For different reasons, I don't think either is a long-term solution as a #1 or #2 player on a roster.

I'm particularly happy that the Celtics kept Jayson Tatum. Despite Duke hate, I think he's likely to be one of the best 2-3 players K has ever produced.

Note: the only guy the Celtics traded this summer who will be will be tough to replace is Avery Bradley . . . sensational defender, great teammate, underrated shooter. But he, too, was not a max player and will want that kind of money.

I think Cleveland's return was pretty solid too
by brewcitydomer  (2017-08-23 12:48:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's clear that they're going to need to rebuild following 2018. However, they didn't have to mortgage 17-18 to get value for Irving. The east is still weak, and they still have the best player in the league. They have a punchers chance at being the Warriors' sacrificial victim next June. And they still get the Nets' pick, which should be top 5. There are very few such deals for a malcontent in the league's history.

For a different comparison, it blows the Bulls' return in the Jimmy Butler trade out of the freaking water. Butler and Irving are similar players - Butler may be slightly preferable - signed through 19-20, with Irving making a few more dollars. Jae Crowder may end up being a better player than anything Chicago received for Butler, to say nothing of IT and the Nets' pick.

Agree
by KHADDAFI  (2017-08-23 23:29:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's difficult to imagine a scenario in which Cleveland could have done better.

But there are still a lot of unknowns - IT's health, durability/longevity, willingness to sign long-term in Cleveland ... not to mention how that draft pick will ultimately work out.

We will know a lot more about how to grade this deal in two years.

Agree about Bradley being the hardest to replace, and with
by drmurray  (2017-08-23 12:02:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your comments about IT. Plus you forgot the IT is recovering from an injury.

However, I really think they gave away too much for Irving.

Crowder is very good AND cheap, the rookie center fills a hole they still have, and the #1 pick of Brooklyn could be #1 overall

I wish we didn't give all this away for one player.

agree
by DBCooper  (2017-08-23 13:21:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not sure why they couldnt have replaced Nader with Zizic or the Lakers pick instead of brooklyns

Spot on ! *
by LAW83  (2017-08-23 07:22:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a Celtics fan I'm just ok with it
by DBCooper  (2017-08-22 21:12:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure why they had to include the nets first pick when Irving told the world he wants out. With that said he is a great talent and will be a superstar in Stevens system. It also helps the celtics from having to figure out how to keep IT without giving him the max. They still have no one rebounding, but that's another issue.

Amazing how the Celtics only have 4 guys left from last years top team.

The pick the Cavs got was key
by Groundhog  (2017-08-23 01:57:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not that there is any guarantee the pick will turn into a star, but they can start their rebuilding after Lebron leaves after the season.

Ainge has been pretty reluctant to give up their stockpile of picks.

Although a question mark at this time because we don't
by Tim Kelley  (2017-08-23 08:50:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

know how the draft choice and others that they have will work out, I think you are correct in that the Cavs are setting themselves up for the post Lebron era rebuild.

Or, if the Cavs end up with the number one pick
by bluengold07  (2017-08-23 09:23:58)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It could entice LeBron to stay.

Celtics make out better. IT injury recovery uncertain . Also
by LAW83  (2017-08-22 21:51:08)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with Brown's continued development Celts able to let JC go. The center a throw in. The Brooklyn pick is a concern. I imagine a player similar to KG will be available with either of first two picks. Celts hoping LA pick within 2 to 5. Regardless thank you Brooklyn

I honestly have no idea what to think
by bluengold07  (2017-08-22 20:05:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For next year, it will probably come down to which player stays the most healthy.

For the future, Boston will have Dickhead for at least two years.

Meanwhile, even if LeBron and Isaiah both leave after next season, the Cavs will have a top-three draft choice next year.