Wow! NY Post's Mushnick says what we've all known re Duke.
by Georgia Hog (2017-08-21 10:31:28)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

"August Madness.

It may as well have appeared in the classified section under Situations Wanted: “Itinerant high school basketball superstar seeks college scholarship for one season, no more than two.”

Time will tell if the TV-delivered and sustained myth that Duke basketball is a high-integrity, uncompromising program that produces championships and legitimate student-athletes will persist this season."

Not just Duke, obviously; KU is the same way. I noticed last
by Rosecrea  (2017-08-23 10:38:45)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

week that we were #6 in one of the early 2018 recruiting rankings. I scoured the list and KU was not listed in the top 66.
It dawned on me that the new strategy among the "Blue Bloods" is to just go out every March, immediately after being eliminated in the tournament, (with huge wads of cash?) and see what 1 year vagabond, tramp athlete they can provide food and shelter to for the next 6-7 months as a way stop to the NBA and hope at least most of his offenses are misdemeanors.

Probably a little overwrought but the Bill Self beatification movement in these parts is a little nauseating.

Not surprising
by oldbender  (2017-08-21 11:22:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It would be a great shock if the TV narrative changes. People like Dick Vitale have perpetuated this myth for years. But the standards for Duke basketball changed more than a few years ago. However, it plays to the TV narrative to hold them up on a pedestal. Then there's their coach, no one in the national media is willing to take him on. Why this latest move isn't raising much more than a ripple is mind boggling, but not surprising.

a lesson provided by sean dockery
by cujaysfan  (2017-08-21 23:50:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

everything about duke hoops is pretty much a fraud

throwback
by smotheredandcovered  (2017-08-22 13:32:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wow, haven't heard that name in some time. i remember hearing about battles btw Dock and Will The Thrill Bynum - chicago public league at its finest. always wondered why he stayed at Dook...

word on the street
by cujaysfan  (2017-08-22 16:25:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he wasn't academically qualified to be recruited by ND

that wasn't an issue at Duke

everything about K and Duke basketball from an academic standpoint is a fraud

Edit - i'm sure ELK or someone else can chime in - but - who was the last ND Chicago public league player? i have no clue - but it's not surprising that it's difficult to come up with one considering the academic profiles of those schools.

I can remember the last CPL player ND recruited
by Kayo  (2017-08-22 16:45:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was Whitney Young High School forward Paul White in 2014. He was a top 50 type of recruit. White ultimately chose Georgetown, but he transferred to Oregon after two years.

Whitney Young is not your average Chicago public high school. It's a magnet school with a strong college prep curriculum. Jahlil Okafor, Quentin Richardson, and Russell Maryland are its most famous sports alumni.

We old-timers
by tb-sb  (2017-08-22 17:23:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember about 2000 a diminutive PG named Martel Bailey. Not sure which high school, but Chicago Public League for sure.

That's a recruiting blast from the past.
by Kayo  (2017-08-22 19:52:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bailey landed at UIC where, according to his Wikipedia page, "He was the 2002–03 NCAA Division I men's basketball season assists leader and holds the Horizon League records for single-season and career assists in conference games."

Good little (5'9"-ish) guard.

thank you sir
by cujaysfan  (2017-08-22 17:12:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as always a wealth of knowledge on here

appreciate the info.

and you're correct - whitney is different than the Marshalls and Simeons of the CPL.

The truth re Duke isn't surprising, but this is the 1st time
by Georgia Hog  (2017-08-21 12:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've been aware of anyone in the sports media calling out Duke and K for their dubious ethics and directly challenging the long-standing media narrative.

FWIW on Mushnick
by DBCooper  (2017-08-21 12:37:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he complains and bitches about everything so it shouldnt shock his readers he is picking on Duke bball. There is nothing he likes doing more than shitting on someone who everyone else likes. Just his thing. With that said, I hope this time he is right.

yeah, he's a hump *
by bbill99  (2017-08-22 11:20:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Raissman in NYDN is much worse...The paper is a rag now... *
by Wolfetone  (2017-08-22 13:56:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Until they got called out by the APR metric, Dook
by 84david  (2017-08-21 12:21:56)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

one and doners never went to class or opened a book.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.