Larry Sheffield
by 3for53 (2017-08-19 22:04:55)

I don't believe this has been posted, but Larry Sheffield a big star from the mid 60's passed away bout two months ago RIP Larry!

About two Larrys and an Armand.
by oldbender  (2017-08-20 12:48:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Larry and Armand Reo were initially scouted by Larry O'Neil an ND grad who coached basketball at Albany's Philip Schuyler, an inner city school. Larry was great coach and an even greater story teller. He knew the " Old" Notre Dame and its athletic personalities like the back of his hand. He and Moose Krause were especially close. Larry's son, a good athlete in his own right, went on to pitch for ND. Larry bird dogged Sheffield and Reo, two of the best ever to come out of Troy. He also tipped Moose off about a great football player at Schuyler with terrible grades that Moose had me get involved with. Armand Reo returned to Troy and eventually ran the school system, an all around great guy.

ND did ha
by olson  (2017-08-20 13:08:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

T

Ted romanowski
by Oldbender  (2017-08-20 13:28:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I knew of Ted while I was at ND, but didn't meet him until I arrived in Albany, Another great guy to come out of the Albany area. A big guy for his time.

Obituary (link)
by garbageplate  (2017-08-20 12:03:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great player
by SixShutouts66  (2017-08-19 22:30:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was on a very talented, but severely underachieving, team when I was there. Ron Reed (LaPorte) played as a sub for the Pistons for about 3 years before his long baseball career with the WhiteSox and Atlanta. Jay Miller (Goshen) was a fine shooting forward, who had an ABA career before becoming an FBI agent. Walt Sahm (Indianapolis) was a 6'10" center named to ND's players of the century team. Bucky McGann was one of the guards (father of pro golfer Michelle McGann). Sheffield was a very talented guard, who could light up the scoreboard. I always wondered if the NBA had been more integrated at that time whether he might have had a pro career (no black players were on the bench).

Team was about 15-15 in the regular season and final game against Creighton at the old Fieldhouse, led by Paul Silas, decided who got to the NCAAs. We played our best game and won handily. Creighton guard got PO'd at the crown and started flipping the bird to the crowd - not a good move.

Reed played the last of his 19 seasons with the White Sox
by Kayo  (2017-08-20 08:43:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nine and a half seasons with the Braves, eight with the Phillies, a half of a season with the Cardinals, and one with the Sox.

Thanks for correction *
by SixShutouts66  (2017-08-20 12:33:35)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post