Any news on next class Bigs we're still in hunt for? *
by LAW83 (2017-08-07 10:42:06)
Edited on 2017-08-07 10:43:38

Surprised we are not in on any 4's and 5's
by dichiap  (2017-08-07 18:24:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our three commits are guards and the most likely recruits are small forwards - Nate Laszewski (6'10" SF) and Saddiq Bey (6'7" SF).

The days of numbered positions are over
by SB Jimbo  (2017-08-07 21:10:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The game has changed so much in the past few years that coaches are no longer looking for 1s, 2s, etc. Numerous articles refer to just 3 positions now...ball handlers, wings, & bigs. I think that's due to a couple of factors: (1) gone are the days when you had to have a big body in the paint. Those guys are becoming fewer & fewer. (2) replacing them are the stretch 4s, guys who can shoot from deep but also bang inside. Next to ball handlers, I think it's becoming the most coveted position in hoops by coaches.

With that said, we have 1 ball handler & 2 wings committed. Now we'll see if Brey can get 1 or 2 bigs. You mentioned Bey & Laszewski. 6-10 Simi Shittu's still in the picture, and ND's been watching Jake Forrester & Ryan Young (both 6-10).

You're right; just think ND needs more guys to defend post
by dichiap  (2017-08-07 22:09:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe the bigs they are looking at can. I know Durham is projected for that role

Recruiting sites have Shittu favoring Kentucky.

3 aren't enough
by tb-sb  (2017-08-08 08:32:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially when one has a bad knee. There is no guarantee that Durham won't have further problems. That makes Djogo, who currently is practicing at the point, as our third tallest player.

Brey sems to have 2 approaches for recruiting this year. For the bigs, it's concentrating on one offer per scholarship. Shittu gets the only scholarship offer, while Battin and Young get some attention but no offer. Hauser gets the offer. When he commits elsewhere, Nate L. gets the offer. If he goes elsewhere, it probably goes to Forrester or maybe Horton-Tucker.

But for wings and things, it was a different philosophy. Brey offered multiple points and wings and took the first to accept, even if they weren't the best out there. If we get another wing (Bey preferably, maybe Kirkwood or Finke) great, if not we're fine. But while that has worked out well, the front court has not. Going after a top 20 big is great, but I.m afraid Shittu is going to ne dup like Allen, Swanigan, and Maker-elsewhere. In the meantime Battin has a top 6 that doesn't include us and Northwestern has offered Young. All the good bigs we looked at in the Midwest have committed to Big 10 schools, and Horton -Tucker(who Humphrey visited in April) has offers from Kansas and Michigan State. I can see a second straight shutout on bigs.

If you consider Horton Tucker
by Ajax  (2017-08-08 11:04:07)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A big, than you should do the same with Bey.

News isn't likely until after September campus visits. *
by Kayo  (2017-08-07 11:48:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post