North Carolina offers Nate Laszewski. *
by Section12 (2017-08-01 14:28:26)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

So? Don't we want to pursue players with a good cohort? *
by 84david  (2017-08-04 10:26:50)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll be honest...
by 2Domer  (2017-08-03 16:57:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't like North Carolina. Or Kentucky. Or UCLA. I just plain don't like them. Any of them.

How does UNC explain their impending probation? *
by Indy77  (2017-08-03 12:27:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That they got to keep their accreditation
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-08-11 16:25:01)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was the bigger risk, considering that thousands of students over 20 years took fake classes and received fake degrees. I don't think the NCAA can do much here, but their fellow conference mates and the accreditation institutions sure could have.

They're a fake school.

Here's one way (link)
by SB Jimbo  (2017-08-03 21:44:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for the link. Quite informative. *
by Indy77  (2017-08-04 10:08:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes it was. The guy really did his homework. *
by SB Jimbo  (2017-08-04 13:17:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The rich get richer *
by LAW83  (2017-08-04 05:59:23)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same BS they're throwing at the NCAA
by Kayo  (2017-08-03 14:30:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is not an exhaustive list, but the following is in UNC's response to the most recent NCAA report.

• The NCAA has oversight over athletics but not academics. Therefore it lacks jurisdiction over many of the alleged violations

• The sub-standard classes were taken by both athletes and non-athletes. While 30% of the enrollments were athletes, obviously a disproportionate amount, North Carolina claims the percentage was irrelevant because they were available to all UNC students.

• There is nothing inherently wrong with a student enrolling in a reputedly 'easy' course whether the purpose of taking the course is to balance the student's schedule, remain academically eligible to be a full-time student, meet academic scholarship requirements or to simply boost the GPA.

• Personally I don't think these arguments will fly. Syracuse was penalized harshly for lesser academic violations. However, they probably are making the same case to recruits that they have made to the NCAA except that they're telling the recruits that the arguments will be effective.

Same stuff USC tried in football
    by SixShutouts66  (2017-08-03 20:21:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I realize that most people think UNC will skate free on this and maybe they're right. However, they seem to be taking the same arrogant approach USC took with the Reggie Bush case. Acting arrogantly and feeling that you're too big a fish to be caught probably increased the penalty they eventually received. The attempt to protect the men's basketball team at the expense of other minor sports is so transparent that even I figured it out.

As much as I feel for players already enrolled now at UNC, the mantra that you're punishing innocent kids doesn't fly.

If they really get nailed, it will be interesting to see if
    by Tim Kelley  (2017-08-04 09:08:02)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the NCAA allows for immediate transfers without sitting out a year. I believe that the ACC also has some regulations that affect intra-conference transfers, but exceptions could also be allowed there, too.

Don't forget - "It's women's basketball's fault." *
    by dfw  (2017-08-03 19:15:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and Simi Shittu *
    by SB Jimbo  (2017-08-01 14:48:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So much for a plan B big eh? *
    by DomerJon  (2017-08-01 14:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Based on his performance the last couple weeks, he's
    by smithwick  (2017-08-02 10:54:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

probably going to end up being a higher rated recruit than Hauser.

Wisconsin might be the toughest competition here since his dad went to Wisconsin and his sister I believe is currently on the women's team there. ND is still in good position though.

I think we are at a point that certain players will
    by Section12  (2017-08-01 15:18:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seriously consider us over North Carolina.

I sure hope so. That would be welcome.
    by DomerJon  (2017-08-01 15:58:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

North Carolina also has a big meeting with the NCAA later this month that could change some interest.

The NCAA is so angry with UNC
    by tusk  (2017-08-01 16:44:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that they will give Southeast North Dakota Tech the death penalty.

That's what I am afraid of.
    by DomerJon  (2017-08-01 17:01:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ball state, Coastal Carolina, Florida A&M, Southeast LA are just a few of the major Powerhouses that have been placed on probation by the NCAA since allegations at UNC.

I doubt that should be a concern.
    by Section 12  (2017-08-01 18:33:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Academics and overall fit are the deal here. He'd do well at ND socially academically and athletically. We have a lot to offer and we shouldn't fear the beast in this case.

Absolutely. We should fear no one. Bring on UNC.... *
    by Wolfetone  (2017-08-02 08:20:20)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.