Dane Goodwin (4*) commits to ND
by Boss (2017-07-05 20:18:08)
[ cannot delete ]   [ Edit ]   [ Return to The Pit ]   [ Show All Thread ]   [ Ignore Poster ]   [ Report Post ]   [ Highlight Poster ]   [ Reply ]

per his Twitter

Interesting story in SBT...
by morrissey man  (2017-07-25 13:03:54)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND checked with Carmody to make sure he was ok with Goodwin joining up before they allowed the commitment.

Excellent. I really didn't anticipate this class coming
by beancounter  (2017-07-06 15:33:46)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

together this quickly, thought we'd be sweating it out into the fall. This is great.

Welcome aboard, Dane! *
by BTFNDGUY  (2017-07-06 13:38:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've never actually seen him play, but in his tape he
by 84david  (2017-07-06 09:38:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

has a really smooth shot, and is probably more polished than the other two. Looks like a great
fit for our offense.

Saw him shooting left handed shots with
by PWK2  (2017-07-06 14:14:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his right hand. My pet peeve.

I've seen him 35-40 times
by The Magic Rat  (2017-07-06 13:48:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mentioned it on here a few weeks ago, but aside from his shooting, which is better than any H.S. player I've ever seen (2nd place: Fred Hoiberg, who played in my H.S. conference), Goodwin's 2nd best attribute is his body control/ athleticism. He jumps really well (he's a very quick jumper) and just has excellent body control in the air. He also seems to have pretty good strength for a kid who hasn't lifted all that much (he's a gym rat, not a body builder), and he should obviously get stronger once he gets here and gets in our program.

He reminds me a little bit of Kyle McAlarney in that his range is basically anywhere 30 feet and in. He also plays with a toughness/ meanness that reminds me of guys like Ben Hansborough/ Demetrius/ Matt Farrell. He has had a target on his back since his freshman year, since he verballed OSU before his freshman season even started. Opposing student sections have been getting on him from day 1, and he gradually went from getting a bit flustered at times as a freshman to getting pissed off as a sophomore to just burying 28 footers and smiling while going back on defense as a junior. Assuming he doesn't forget how to shoot and learns to work a little bit harder on defense (I don't want to say that he rests on defense, but he also doesn't usually guard the other team's best player either), I see him playing and contributing from the get-go.

One other note: standing next to his dad, his dad looks like he has a couple inches on him, so he could very well still get an inch or two taller.

Also goes to UA and should be well-prepared
by kudos  (2017-07-06 23:10:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for a lot of the social and academic realities at ND. I know that's been a problem for some guys in the past; it won't be for him.

Great Stuff!!!!! *
by PortND  (2017-07-06 15:14:30)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I look forward to your updates as the season progresses, everything I've read from people such as yourself who have seen him play and are familiar with the area is nothing but huge positives.

reminds me a lot of Matt Carroll with better inside moves
by dbcsmith  (2017-07-06 11:32:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but maybe not quite as tough. very close.

Shit is getting real :)
by SCOTTIE  (2017-07-06 00:14:33)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well done by the staff.

Welcome aboard! *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-07-05 23:03:38)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow! *
by Circuslunch  (2017-07-05 23:00:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This one really surprises me
by Ajax  (2017-07-05 22:46:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Once Carmody gave his verbal, I considered Goodwin to no longer be an option. We had a poster on here mention that he thought Carmody could play some SF. FWIW per Verbal Commits, Goodwin is listed as being one inch taller than Carmody.

Just pure speculation, but I was reading on the IL site that they felt Finke was down to IL and ND (listed at 6'6). I'd have to believe this verbal takes him out of the mix (just like Muhammad). Those on the IL site were also speculating that if IL received a verbal from Horton-Tucker that they would not have room for Finke. Horton-Tucker is a very interesting player, but to my knowledge ND never offered.

As far as the rest of the class (which appears to be 5 unless Shittu were to verbal) it would seem Bey is the most likely as a VJ type 3/4.

Shittu is a long shot, but it's great to be in the mix. A verbal from him would shake things up nationally. Right now, ND's excellent recruiting class of 4 star talent does not.

Hauser is a long shot as well. It just seems its a 3 team race for him with Marquette, WI, and MSU. MSU has 4 verbals and is maxed for 18-19, but they have 2-3 (Bridges, Jackson, Ward) who will leave early.

It seems Riley Battin may still be a fall back plan B option for a big man. It would seem he would be put on the 5 year plan.

Have to wonder, if the 5 year plan might be an option for Goodwin.

Could Finke play the 4?
by mhunter123  (2017-07-06 09:41:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was pretty sure I had read somewhere that he was one of the 'Bigs' still being recruited along with Bey and Shittu. It didn't seem too logical since he is listed as a SG but he is pretty tall.

Ball-handlers, wings and bigs. Those are the positions
by miamioh_irishfan  (2017-07-06 12:55:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coaches think about in today's basketball.

Everyone would do well to stop assigning numbers 1-5 to all positions.

You are 100% correct *
by fbirish  (2017-07-06 13:42:11)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not a big
by Ajax  (2017-07-06 12:33:34)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

honestly, the only 2 bigs out there are Shittu and Hauser. Shittu has impressive ball handling skills. Hauser (if he has pro aspirations) would likely have to play the 3, but in college he could be stretch 4.

Bey is also not really a big, but there is talk he could grow some more. He could play some 4 like VJ did. He grew a lot in the last year and was a guard as a HS soph.

Finke is not looking for a college where he would play the 4. He is a 3/2. The only way that could change is if he grew a couple more inches. It's possible- his older brother is listed in the 6'8 to 6'9 range.

Horton-Tucker at 6'5 could be a Bonzie type big.

Someone that can shoot it like Goodwin...
by BigNDfan  (2017-07-06 00:01:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doesn't redshirt.

Trevor Cooney shot it real well in HS
by Ajax  (2017-07-06 01:26:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When he enrolled at Cuse they had Scoop Jardine, Brandon Triche, Waiters, and Carter-Williams. He red-shirted.

That doesn't seem like a comparable example. *
by BigNDfan  (2017-07-06 07:30:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND doesn't have those type of athletes in front of him.

Pflueger, Gibbs, Hubb and Carmody
by NDMike2001  (2017-07-06 09:26:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And there is also Harvey and Djogo.

ND wouldn't exactly be hurting for wings and ball handlers.

None of them are proven perimeter shooters, though.
by Naughman  (2017-07-06 09:42:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One or several of them may become that between now and then, but I could envision scenarios in which a sharpshooter who isn't overmatched defensively could slide into the rotation early. The fact that Brey took his commitment when we already have so many wings in the pipeline would suggest that he offers a somewhat different set of skills than the others.

I wouldn't bet on this happening, but it's possible.

I'm no recruiting expert...
by NDMike2001  (2017-07-06 10:03:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I wouldn't have any real knowledge of the skill sets of any of those players other than Gibbs and Pflueger of course.

But Brey's history suggests that someone is going to sit, and history shows that the player will be much better off having done so.

I don't know that Brey would make the decision based on whether someone is a sharp shooter or not. Rather, he'd probably go with the one he trusts can play some defense and pick up the offense. I suspect it's one of either Carmody or Goodwin would have the come to jesus talk.

Not sure if history applies to this class
by Kayo  (2017-07-06 13:37:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This class is like no other Brey era class, so I am not inclined to assume that anything from the past applies. I'd look back to Brey's Duke days for reference, back when Duke recruited lots of excellent players but not the kind of talent K gets now.

Did any 4-star recruits sit out on those teams? For that matter, has Brey ever put a 4-star recruit on the five year plan?

It's all relative isn't it?
by NDMike2001  (2017-07-06 19:40:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whether you have 4 stars or 3 stars, there's only one ball and so many minutes to go around. I think the Ayers class is the most comparable/relevant. And well, nobody sat out that year. So you are right about that.

As for the history of success, I was mostly referring to guys with 5th years. For whatever reason. Ironically, many were not exactly planned that way (transfer and suspensions).

Ultimately, I think Brey has the conversation, and it's up to the player. I just think there will be conversations.

I wonder if Ayers wished that he had another season.

Agree.
by Naughman  (2017-07-06 10:38:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's difficult and ultimately fruitless to make confident proclamations about exactly who will or won't play early until the kids get to campus and start working with the team on a regular basis. But here's what the roster will look like when they arrive:

Bigs - Burns (R-SR), Mooney (JR), Durham (SO)
Wings - Pflueger (SR), Djogo (R-JR), Harvey (SO), Carmody (FR), Goodwin (FR)
Points - Gibbs (JR), Hubb (FR)

Goodwin and Carmody look most likely to sit
by hscoach  (2017-07-11 09:27:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hubb will come off the bench and probably play off the ball in tandem with Gibbs.
Djogo will provide a defensive boost off the bench. If he can shoot the three ball, then Goodwin and Carmody lose their opportunity to play imho.
Burns will be a key rotation player on the front line.
Or maybe Brey increases the tempo and plays all ten? I doubt it. But this kind of depth might force him to get out of his comfort zone ...

So when Rex is a senior
by bobnd80  (2017-07-05 23:52:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We will have the following guys to keep happy. Burns, Mooney, Durham (bigs and likely will only play one at a time), Gibbs, Harvey, Hubb, Carmody and Goodwin , Plus Rex and whoever else we recruit. That is a pretty talented roster lacking only a guy like Bonzie who can play with his back to the basket.

Ratchet up the defense
by Kayo  (2017-07-06 13:45:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Press all over the court. Wear the players out so they'll ask for rest.

Amen *
by Norm  (2017-07-06 16:03:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meh, another ho hum four star. *
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-07-05 22:13:53)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Love it! Wanted this kid bad...Welcome Dane! *
by mhunter123  (2017-07-05 21:08:06)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Linked without comment (link)
by Taxman  (2017-07-05 21:00:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting that Brey & Co. had Carmody over Goodwin
by 84david  (2017-07-06 10:16:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as the top priority. From the brief tape I've seen, Carmody is a little raw but more
athletic. Goodwin has a better looking shot and appears to be the more polished of
the two. Then there is the nutshot issue that needs to be addressed.

They must see something I don't, but I guess that's why I'm sitting here and MB is coach.

Either way it's a great get.

Goodwin was a long time commit to OSU
by PortND  (2017-07-06 17:16:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sure because of this he wasn't even on ND's board, the kid committed to OSU before HS.

Interesting story in SBT...
by morrissey man  (2017-07-05 20:47:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND checked with Carmody to make sure he was ok with Goodwin joining up before they allowed the commitment.

Link to SBT Story... (link)
by Norm  (2017-07-05 23:48:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also thought interesting detail that SBT reporting clarified that Carmody was top recruit and revealed the pecking order was communicated to all.

Add Bey and Shittu
by bobnd80  (2017-07-05 20:46:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and we have a top five class that can compete for an ACC championship and a long run in the tourney. This would be the most talent at ND since Digger's heyday in the late 70s. Will be interesting to see how Coach Brey handles playing time with this much quality depth.

Great Point
by NDTommie  (2017-07-05 21:18:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know Brey has expanded a little bit in the past couple years, but the days of the 7 man rotation have to be long gone. This is depth we have not had in Brey's tenure.

Please let it happen *
by mhunter123  (2017-07-05 21:09:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We now have the 4th best class per 247 composite. (link)
by NDLuthy  (2017-07-05 20:41:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It must have been updated. I hit the link and it said #3 *
by 84david  (2017-07-06 09:43:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arkansas had been #1 but had a decommit yesterday *
by BillShakespeare  (2017-07-06 15:56:14)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nova has the same player (Slater) listed twice
by Ajax  (2017-07-06 03:11:17)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they only have a 2 man class.

Kind of laughable how 247 could miss this.

ND should be #2.

Bey would likely guarantee a top 10 class.

71 on ESPN, also Carmody is 74, Hubb 76 *
by Boss  (2017-07-05 20:24:10)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

123rd ranked player nationally per Rivals
by garbageplate  (2017-07-05 20:20:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

6'4" SG from Upper Arlington, OH, outside of Columbus. Originally committed to Ohio State, but opened up his recruitment when OSU canned Matta.

We had to beat out Villanova for him along with OSU and others. Another nice get.

ND vs Villanova - Hubb, Durham, and Goodwin
by Kayo  (2017-07-05 21:43:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Others were involved, too; but Villanova only is a little more than a year away from its championship and was the overall #1 seed last March. It should be very hard to beat Wright and his staff for players, yet ND's staff is three for three this season.

FWIW Nova eliminated him per VU site (link)
by 11thfloorflanner  (2017-07-06 05:57:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He mentioned he had to call Jay Wright...
by BigNDfan  (2017-07-06 07:32:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They may have moved on but I don't think it's that cut and dried.

He could have been calling to see if they had a spot for him *
by OhioIrish21  (2017-07-06 17:33:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's possible and maybe Noie can clarify
by Domer99  (2017-07-06 18:21:28)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but here is what Noie quoted then wrote:

As of early Wednesday evening, Goodwin still had “The Ohio State University,” under his Twitter profile photo. That would change. Soon. He waited until just after 8 p.m. to make the commitment official, in part because he was waiting to speak with Villanova coach Jay Wright.

Goodwin chose Notre Dame over Ohio State and Villanova.

While the Nova part isn't in quotes, choosing ND over Villanova certainly seems like his offer still stood. And the player mentioned on the Nova site wasn't even the same position as Goodwin. Whatever, I'll take him.

The contents of this post represent the views of the author. NDNation.com is not responsible for its contents.