Bonzie Returning per WNDU
by chezhdchick (2017-04-10 14:14:35)
Edited on 2017-04-10 14:16:33

After breaking news about two transfers from the Women's team, DiCarlo followed up with this:

Angelo Di Carlo‏, Verified account @angdicarlowndu

"Meanwhile, huge news for the Irish men's basketball team. Notre Dame announces Bonzie Colson will return for his senior season next year."

" I have decided to pursue my dream "
by irish tenor  (2017-04-11 13:03:29)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Usually that phrase means that the student athlete is gone. Good for Bonzie!

Key comment from Bonzi..
by TWO  (2017-04-11 11:27:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Colson said he wouldn’t spend the next year worrying about what he needs to do in order to play in the NBA. With improvement and the program’s continued success, that will take care of itself.
“I’m not focused on (the NBA),” Colson said. “I’m worried about now and what we can do to be better as a team. It starts with us working on our weaknesses. We have to be sharp and dedicated, as we always were. We have to keep growing and understanding that we’ve got to keep shaping our game.

Good, he is process rather than goal oriented *
by nd67  (2017-04-12 09:24:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A fellow Adams devotee? *
by El Kabong  (2017-04-12 10:09:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, I enjoy reading his perspectives *
by nd67  (2017-04-12 10:45:32)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like Ryan was present at the event
by combodraw  (2017-04-11 09:49:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Any chance he changes his mind?

Happened with Luatua
by revressbo  (2017-04-11 14:08:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wouldn't expect it but not unprecedented.

Whenever anyone asked Noie
by Ajax  (2017-04-11 15:10:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why Ryan was not playing this season, he always replied back with Steve and VJ as the reason AND the minutes would be there next season. Not so fast.

Brey explained why sophomore wing Matt Ryan asked for a release from the university.

"We talked right after the season and I think for Matt it's a little crowded on the perimeter," Brey said. "There's no sure thing for like a Vasturia minutes or Beachem minutes. And I think for him, he felt like it was a little risky. I don't blame him. You can't guarantee anybody anything, and I think he felt he needed to explore.

"He'll find the right spot. We'll miss him, but we still have pretty good players. I think with Matt leaving it puts Djogo, Harvey and Mooney in a position to really be evaluated, and I'm excited about that

But Brey also said the minutes would be there next season.
by NDMike2001  (2017-04-12 10:35:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In his show Brey specifically said that VJ was the reason Ryan couldn't get minutes this season and that things would open up for him next season. Of course he never guaranteed minutes, but he did the usual "the future is very bright for Matt Ryan at Notre Dame" kind of thing.

That being said, there's no doubt Mooney, Harvey and Geben would be pushing for the 5th starting spot with Djogo and Torres also pushing to get into the rotation.

I just have to think that Ryan wasn't just looking for minutes. He is looking to be a starter and prominent player.

Your last sentence is likely spot on *
by lefty04  (2017-04-12 12:53:26)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I could see Ryan being a 3 in 5 guy
by Ajax  (2017-04-12 12:28:55)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let's say he transfers to a major conference team such as Vanderbilt and ends up being a nice role player, I could then see him going the grad transfer route to a mid major such as Iona to "star".

Brey proves his mettle every time he talks
by NGIrish09  (2017-04-11 23:59:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Contrast this with our football coach's treatment of his departing QB. There really is no comparison.

I'm happy from a points and rebounds standpoint, but...
by Kayo  (2017-04-10 16:28:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...happier still from a leadership standpoint.

It isn't than I don't think Vasturia and Beachem were poor leaders. They really developed in that area, especially Beachem. Colson once said VJ was not quiet at all even though everyone in media thinks he is, and Farrell said he was "ten times" more vocal by the end of the season than he was at the start.

However...

1. Neither senior was given to a lot of emotion on the court.
2. It's hard to be an exceptional leader when performance on the court is inconsistent.

Colson is not lacking in either of those two categories and he has developed in the other traits good leaders have. I didn't consider him great leadership material a year ago; but after watching him grow this season, I think he will be really good at it.

Leadership next year should be very good.
by TWO  (2017-04-11 10:07:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe not quite Pat C and Jerian but close.

with Colson and Farrell leading the show
by OCdomer78  (2017-04-10 19:29:51)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

intensity will not be a problem

Both teams just have 10 on SS for next season
by Ajax  (2017-04-10 15:54:43)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

4 of the 10 for the men will be in their last season of eligibility

5 of the 10 for the women will be in their last season of eligibility (assuming Turner does not miss the entire season).

Both will be checking the transfer market this spring. Would be surprised if the men bring in a grad transfer and if the women bring in another.

MM has four 2018 verbals, speculation (for class balance) she will only take 1 more.

Brey has never brought in a recruiting class that exceeds 4. IIRC the last 5 man frosh class at ND was Digger's last class (that played for Johnny Mac).

I'm selfishly pleased. Had he chose the NBA path,
by 84david  (2017-04-10 15:27:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

though, I would campaign for him as a lottery pick.

Great news! Relief then excitement! *
by cbo86  (2017-04-10 15:18:18)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Muy bueno *
by El Kabong  (2017-04-10 14:51:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

sehr gut *
by Irish72  (2017-04-10 21:12:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tres bien. *
by PWK2  (2017-04-10 22:39:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ausgezeichnet! *
by Stonebreaker9  (2017-04-11 06:16:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

buonissimo! *
by chezhdchick  (2017-04-11 08:34:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dobra *
by The Holtz Room  (2017-04-11 19:04:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

חדשות טובות *
by SB Jimbo  (2017-04-11 21:40:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Antasticfay *
by Kayo  (2017-04-12 06:30:52)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Big Smile! *
by irishtenor  (2017-04-10 14:48:37)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post