St. Anthony's HS in Jersey City to Close
by NotraDom77 (2017-04-05 15:07:29)

Apparently the Archdiocese of Newark has made the announcement. Sad day for the school and community. In our area we've lost Essex Catholic, Paterson Catholic and now St. Anthony's in recent years. David Rivers was from St. Anthony's. ND has had athletes from the other schools as well over the years. Sad day for the Hurley family as well.

hurley *
by KOOLINSC  (2017-04-06 22:53:16)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You hear stories of celebrities giving money to schools.
by tdiddy07  (2017-04-06 09:35:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it frequently seems to be schools that are generally failing and will continue to fail. Yet a school with a great mission like this that is succeeding somehow doesn't get support.

Celebrities who give money to schools
by tf86  (2017-04-06 10:46:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Usually (although not always) give that money to their old school. Even a celebrity inclined to give money to a school other than its own probably would not have much incentive to give to St. Anthony's if not Catholic, or at least the product of Catholic education.

The only possible stream of revenue there would have been the NBA, and that would have been a longshot, at best.

And they'd gone there before. In 2002, Hill and Laettner
by NJIrish04  (2017-04-06 11:06:03)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

gave money after hearing about the school's problems (see attached article). Looks like $50k each, which is pretty generous considering their only connection was a college teammate and they hadnt gone there themselves.

Sad news. *
by KevinPS  (2017-04-05 18:36:44)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sad day for JC and NJ sports
by NJIrish04  (2017-04-05 16:33:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Loved watching their teams play. They used to come down Shore and usually kick my high school's ass - we did get the occasional win - but it was always a site to watch them play, especially defense. Went to the St. Pat's vs. St. Anthony's title game in 2011 when they were ranked #1 and #2 in country. Kidd-Gilchrist (now w/ Bobcats) on St. Pat's and Kyle Anderson (now on Spurs) going against each other. Hurley outcoached Boyle that day and the Friars won 4th USA Today title later that month...

Hurley is the only reason the school lasted as long as it did. Probably would have closed 15 or 20 years ago without him. Article said Marist was struggling too. Hadn't realized that. Sad to see...

CBA I assume
by chuck99  (2017-04-06 00:39:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it is a sad day. Before my family moved to the shore, I went to St. Anthony's for elementary school. Sadly that school experienced this fate decades ago. Hurley is the reason it took this long.

Yes. You too?
by NJIrish04  (2017-04-06 11:02:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though like you, lived in Hudson County before moving down Shore. Lived in Bayonne and I went to one of the 4 or 5 Catholic grammar schools in the city at that time for kindergarten and 1st grade. Now, they've consolidated into a single school. Sounds like Marist high school in Bayonne is on brink of closing as well...

You're right about Hurley - that school would have closed 20 years ago without him. I asked a good friend's father who was very knowledgable about basketball and was friendly with Hurley if he thought he'd take a job in college when I was still in high school in the late 90s. My friend's dad said he didnt think so b/c Bob knew the school would close down if he ever left. He was right and Hurley prob gave them 2 more decades than they would otherwise have had...

No
by chuck99  (2017-04-06 11:42:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it was the only team down that way I remember consistently playing St. Anthony's. I went to Manasquan.

Gotcha. Great football when we were growing up and really
by NJIrish04  (2017-04-06 14:46:47)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

good basketball the last 5-10 years on both sides, especially the girls.

News article (link)
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2017-04-05 15:55:22)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post