Interesting note about the NBA lottery and this year's FF
by miamioh_irishfan (2017-04-04 12:23:27)

Unless Justin Jackson or Collins get picked in this year's lottery, it will go down as the first time ever that the Final Four hasn't produced a lottery pick in the subsequent NBA draft.

It sort of highlights where the college game has gone in the past 5-10 years (or since the 1 and done rule was established). Teams with multi-year continuity have performed better than teams loaded with one-and-done kids. Yeah, yeah variance and randomness and all that associated with the nature of the tournament, but it does indicate the ability of programs like ND to go out and win the whole thing from time to time, which I think is good for the college level.

Draft Express: Jackson 12th in 2017; Collins 11th in 2018
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-04-04 13:09:39)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I used Draft Express because KenPom has referenced them in the past.

Makes sense to me
by PortND  (2017-04-04 12:55:59)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have always thought the one and done environment actually benefits ND and the type of program Brey has put together. Id the NBA were to remove the requirement of one year out of HS it would really hurt ND as now suddenly the blue blood programs would become the destination for those kids not entering the NBA draft.

I have a question about one and dones...
by Hometown fan  (2017-04-04 12:42:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see Fox and Monk have both declared. My question is did they go to class at all? Or, does KY just put them on double secret academic probation for failing first semester? I cannot imagine they have attended a single class this semester; and now, after declaring, they have probably both already left campus.

Creating APR and tying tournament eligibility to it...
by Kayo  (2017-04-04 13:40:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...has virtually eliminated the practice of attending class first semester and blowing off the second knowing one was going to enter the draft.

The explanation is linked below. Essentially, the athletes have to perform at a base level every semester they're enrolled at a school. If they ignore second semester classes and fail them, it lowers the APR score and puts tournament eligibility in jeopardy.

It takes academic fraud to give passing grades to athletes who don't attend classes, and that has its own peril... eventually.

And in Carolina's case eventually means after they
by MAS  (2017-04-05 09:34:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Win another National Championship or two. What a joke the NCAA is.

In Carolina's case, it certainly doesn't hurt them that
by tf86  (2017-04-05 13:20:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They have a strong rooting section among the national media. I'm sure Dukie V would be crying for years if the mean old NCAA ever put them on probation, even if it was double secret probation.

To me, that might be the most infuriating part of the story.
by Kayo  (2017-04-05 14:31:13)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It drives me nuts when they talk about what fine people Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim, and other known cheaters are.

I don't need the announcers to trash these guys when doing their games. I realize that they aren't going to demean the product. But they don't have to lionize these guys, and they do. All the while, they talk about the need for integrity, the importance of education, and the values college sports instill in young men and women.

They are incredibly full of shit.

Answer
by civil_engr05  (2017-04-04 13:02:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, they go to class. Since Cal arrived at UK, they've only had 1 player not finish the spring semester. That was Daniel Orton in Cal's first year. This is also reflected by their perfect APR score for 2016 and perfect 4-year composition score. Kids leaving early for the NBA doesn't hurt your APR score as long as they finish the school year.

That makes me feel better about UK. *
by Hometown fan  (2017-04-04 13:36:09)     Delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post