Irish Men Win, Women Take 2nd In Joe Piane XC Invitational
by dillon77 (2023-09-29 15:31:27)
Edited on 2023-09-29 15:32:39

I've attached a link to the results page for all the XC results from this Friday.

But in the Blue Races, which seems to be where the top teams sent their top competitors, the guys:

- Took 1st in the 5=Mile Race:
1) ND 87
2) Fla. State 95
3) Alabama 114
4) NC State 174
5) Mich. St. 177

Joshua Methner, a junior, took 6th for the Irish in 23:27. while frosh Cj Singleton took 11th in 27:45

National Champs NC State came to South Bend and took 1st in the Womens' 5000m race, with 44 points to the Irish 53. Top teams:

1) Wolfpack 44
2) Irish 53
2) Alabama 73
4) UC Davis 152
5) Flor. State 182

Top Irish Finishers:

5th. Jr. Siona Chisholm 16:26
6th Sr. Olivia Markezich 16:31
12) Sr. Andrea Markezich 16:42
13) Fr. Grace Schager 16:47
17) Jr. Erin Strezelecki 16:52

Don't know if NC State was running it's top guns, but good to see the Irish taking them on before the ACC and NCAA's.

I believe that Touhy, NC States' most noteworthy ...
by Rocksteady74  (2023-09-29 21:15:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... runner, was not in the women's race.

It wasn't a particularly strong set of men's teams, but good experience for the Irish.

BTW did you see who won the women's and gthe time.
by Domerduck  (2023-09-29 17:53:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A Bama Freshman from Kenya who did it in 16:05 beating the field by 10 seconds. That was only her 2nd NCAA race. She won last week as you can see by the instagram. From my little web research she seems to be is a 21 year old freshman who already has run a 5K in less than 15 minutes in France. The 2nd Bama runner was also Kenyan, a xfr from Iowa State. Looks like Bama wants some xcrountry NCs and is investing to get it.

Well, LSU Won Hoops Championship with Mostly Transfers
by dillon77  (2023-09-29 18:03:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...5 on the court for hoops, 5 to score in X-C.

However, I think they don't have the horses this year. Maybe in the SEC, but not in the nationals. NC State didn't even run Katelyn Tuohy in this race and won pretty easily. (Equivalent of holding out Molly Seidel her senior year/)

In years past, Iona guys used to get a weird combination of Africans and Irishmen to do very well, including Kip Keino's son. And the great Villanova teams when we were in our 20's all had guys who knew their way around Cork more than the Main Line.

WSU out west here had Henry Rono and several other Kenyans
by Domerduck  (2023-09-29 18:20:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

back in the late 70's into the 80's. More recently Oregon got Edward Cheserek who ended up with 17 NCAA Championships. Those Kenyans can run.

Nice + here's an article on Goose back at his XC high school
by Domerduck  (2023-09-29 17:40:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in Louisville "staying true to his roots". It talks all about his American records, the mile race in Eugene (with an awesome text from his sister), and a look to the upcoming Olympics while talking about his high school years and his 1st year as a pro.

Amazing that there is no mention that he went to ND, but then again it is the L'ville Courier.

Thanks for sharing the Xcountry results. I hadn't checked yet today but I did notice when I looked ND's XCountry roster recently they still had Nuguse's picture front and center. Not a bad guy to still be the face of the program even though he last ran for ND in two season ago.