Agree. The divide between the best and the rest is becoming
by Domerduck (2023-09-28 12:58:28)
Edited on 2023-09-28 12:59:34

In reply to: Playing a top ten team exposes the flaws quickly... *  posted by MPG

very wide especially with the transfers and the extra year. #5 L'ville is the class of the ACC who are coming off a NCAA championship game finish and plays in front of big crowds at the Yum! Center. They had a great team last year as I remember watching the Ducks take them to 5 sets at L'ville in the regionals. The deep team still is starting a UCLA transfer Luper as well as reloading through recruiting. They also were tested in preseason having beating current #7 WSU and #15 PSU at the Yum! both in 3 sets and their only loss is to current #3 Stanford also at home in front of 10k fans in 5 sets. ND didn't have a chance.

I've also been watching the #6 Oregon VB team a lot. The 2 senior xfrs they are playing they got from tOSU and Baylor have been excellent and they also were already deep with their roster to including having the National FPOY. I was surprised how the Ducks beat a usually strong UCLA team in 3 sets in LA, but losing a xfr like Luper makes a difference.

Watching what it takes to compete in this current NCAA VB environment especially with NIL money it is going to take a lot to break into becoming a very competitive team. Texas brought many of their top players in as xfrs to win the NC last year to complement their NPOY Logan Eggleston. SO you got to have a core great player that you recruit while continuing to reload. Tall order for ND to get that competitive. At least this is the last year of that extra Covid year.