My update from Eugene. That place was electric as the two
by Domerduck (2023-09-17 13:49:26)
Edited on 2023-09-17 17:05:39

In reply to: Yared Nguse Sets American Record in Mile  posted by dillon77

ran around the track together. It was the last race of the day. It was such a fast race and Ingebrigsten is also loved in Eugene. I remember when he ran the Bowerman mile when he was 16 and broke 4 minutes then when his older brother also ran as a top miler. He has won the Bowerman mile now 3 years in a row.

There were a few Cole Hocker fans who were hoping for a race liked when Cole nipped Yared in the NCAA championships in Eugene. But it became clear that it was the rabbits, the Norwegian, and Goose which I was screaming from the 3rd row of section 204. I had my ND hat so it became clear why I was a fan. Amazing how they all ran so fast. I am sure it is fastest overall mile run ever since 11 runners were under 3:50. The attached article entitle "Yared Nuguse Shatters American Mile Record" shows all the runners times which had 11 personal bests and 5 national records.

Overall the meet was so well done with a British woman announcing the events while they were held. The Diamond League Races are so different than World or National championships events as it is more about the show. Although the Pre Classic has been part of the Diamond league since the beginning but it is usually earlier in the year. This was the 1st time the Diamond league championship was held in the Eugene so it is really well done. The previous championships since the Diamond league started in 2010 have all been in Zurich or Brussels except the Covid year when it was in Doha.

I took my son and his girlfriend and the meet went so fast with no prelims, just high level competition. The field events were all fun but the running events were epic. Even with the highlight being the men's mile, there were 4 other running events that stood out:
1. 400M hurdles where American Benjamen eeked out a Diamond League record win over Norwegian Gold medalist Warholm
2. 300OM womens steeplechase where Yavi just missed a world record (2d fastest ever beating the next runner by 5 seconds)
3.1500M women's World Record holder Kenyan Faith Kipyegon beat the field by 3 seconds.
4. 100M men with Americans Coleman & Lyles and Kenyan Omanyala all had 3 of the top 5 times this season.

Overall in Day 1 seven of the 15 events had Meet Records and a total of 11 National records were broken including 2 American Records, Yared's and Chase Ealey for the Women's shot put. It was also very international with the winners coming from 11 different countries: 4 Americans, 2 Kenyans, and 1 each from Japan, Italy, Korea, Grenada, Brunei, Czechslovakia, Venezuela, Jamaica, and Norway. !7 more events will be held again on NBC/CNBC. They are hoping for at least one world record. Ingebrigsten is going to run the 3k today and we will see what he still has it in him to win again.

Replies: