Nuguse’s World T&F 1500m quarterfinal heat linked
by trout (2023-08-19 16:49:16)
Edited on 2023-08-20 10:41:47

Top 6 make semifinals.

Semifinal is 8/20 (this afternoon). NBC should be broadcasting the race.

Finished 5th in the final. Kerr (UK) surprise winner *
by IRISH01  (2023-08-23 17:09:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes-watched it live, NBC hyped up Nuguse/Ingebrigtsen dual
by Domerduck  (2023-08-23 19:10:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and their different personalities. Still Kerr had the kick to win. Yared was boxed in and had to work hard to go around. Tactically it didn't work for him this time, but I am sure he'll learn. It does seem like the final was a wonderful collection of 1500m athletes and the first 5 included 1-3 ranked in the world (Ingebrigsten 2nd, Nuguse 5th, & Kipsang 4th), #7 Kerr who won with his season best, and #18 Nordas from Norway who ended up 3rd.

Cole Hocker getting 7th had his Personal best so peaked at this race. Still the most impressive non-winner was the 18 year old Netherland runner Laros who got his 2nd National record in a week getting 10th overall, beating his previous NR by a second with a time of 3:31.25. He tried to run to get to the front to win on the bell lap but got up to 3rd but faded at the end. Still he is only 18-wow.

From a time standpoint the 2023 Oslo race was faster (10 racers faster than 3.31) with 8 racers having their PBs including Yared's American record, but they had rabbits and was more spread out in the top 10 (#1 Ingrebrigsten at 3:27.95 to #10 Gourley at 3:30.88). Still having the top 10 racers within 2 seconds of each other (#1 3:29.38 to #10 3:31.25) is amazing. Last year only 7 runners even beat 3:33 with the winning time being a tenth of a second faster than this race. Man these runners are amazing.

That was disappointing
by trout  (2023-08-26 13:39:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was hoping for a much more competitive result from Nuguse.

It seemed the heat put a damper on super fast times.

It took me a day or two to get over my disappointment. Sort of like a football loss.

I heard the Norwegian was under the weather with a sore throat, so that was the time to take advantage, and Kerr did, good for him.

Unfortunately for Nuguse, I think he could have done better running from the front as he had in the previous races. Tactically that may have been the better choice.

Yes, his tactics were poor. *
by Rocksteady74  (2023-08-27 18:54:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thx. Yared wins the semis. Great race. Final on Weds
by Domerduck  (2023-08-20 16:16:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yared showed why he's currently #2 in the world in having the fastest time in both semis, but did it effortlessly. He is looking great.

Results for both semis is attached in the link. World #1 Ingebrigtsen was 1st in the other semi and in a slower race. Fellow American and Oregon Duck Cole Hocker (the guy who outkicked Yared in the 2021 NCAA final) was 3rd and also qualified for the final. Should be a great final.

Looks like he placed 5th in final,Hocker 7th. Kerr first *
by joeirish80  (2023-08-23 15:56:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A mad sprint the last 200-300 meters. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-08-23 16:48:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was very chill in the post-race interview.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-08-21 13:26:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was not aware Hocker also qualified. I assume the Kenyan dude will be up for it. The last 400 meters could be epic.

Time for revenge against Hocker and getting Ingebrigtsen
by Domerduck  (2023-08-21 17:15:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

off his high horse. We will see if Yared is up to the challenge.

The final will be a must see event, 3:15 PM EDT 8/23
by trout  (2023-08-21 11:40:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Based on my research it should be on USA Network.

Start List linked below:

I think Peacock will also have it. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-08-21 13:23:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Final has 2 each from USA, Kenya, GBR, & Norway plus 1 each
by Domerduck  (2023-08-20 20:25:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from France, Spain, Portugal, and an 18 year old from the Netherlands. 8 of the current top 11 ranked 1500M runners in the world will be competing in the Final including the top 3 with the Kenyon Kipsang #3 behind Ingebrigtsen and Nuguse, #17 and #18 also made it. The two outliers are the American Hocker who is currently #40 (though last year he got as high as #10) and the 18 year old newcomer who is currently #122 in the world.

Can't wait. The defending champ, the Brit Wightman, didn't run the event because of injury as only 4 runners are back in final from last years race in Eugene. Silver medalist Norwegian #1 Ingebrigtsen will certainly be gunning to finally win Worlds since he was favored last year and won the Gold in Tokyo with a Olympic record time in 2021. The other 3 returners are Brit Kerr who had a bronze medal in Tokyo & was 5th last year, Kipsang who was 4th in Tokyo & 7th last year, and the Spaniard Garcia who was 4th last year.

This is Nuguse 1st final in the 3 World championships he qualified for as he couldn't start in Tokyo with a late injury and didn't get out of the qualifying heat in 2018 in the U20 World Championships. Good luck to Yared.

NBC showed a really fun ND-centric interview
by SavageDragon  (2023-08-20 20:10:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

YN sat down with Corey Robinson, talking about ND, career dreams, pets, and more.

They mentioned it in this post race interview in the Youtube
by Domerduck  (2023-08-20 20:29:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

clip but I haven't seen Corey's interview. I'd love to see it.