I didn't comment on volleyball and
by Nigeltufnel (2016-10-03 17:57:35)

In reply to: actually an advantage in women's volleyball  posted by Melanzana

Mentioned only soccer, hockey, and lax and could have tossed in baseball as well as indications of where Olympic sports are at a possible net disandbatage given the tab that a student athlete has to pick up if they only garner a partial scholarship.

Yale won a national championship in hockey and several
by FL_Irish  (2016-10-05 20:09:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Ivy schools are nationally competitive in lacrosse. I don't think absence of full rides is a huge barrier to success in either sport given the backgrounds of those who grow up playing them.

D1 hockey is a unique mix of schools
by Tex Francisco  (2016-10-06 14:29:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In most major (i.e. power 5) college sports, the majority of top schools are at least a flagship state school or well-known private school in terms of academic prestige. If you look at the top 20 in hockey, you'll see names like St. Cloud State, UMass Lowell, Minnesota Duluth, Bemidgi State, Michigan Tech, etc. I would think this contrast would help ND. Paying a $100k premium for a school like ND over a school like Iowa would be a tough call. Paying a $100k premium for a school like ND over St. Cloud State would be a no brainer.

if the family income is less than $50,000, they will attend
by DBCSMITH  (2016-10-04 00:39:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND for less than the state univ.

Its not just income based...
by ErikND96  (2016-10-05 10:09:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... home equity is a consideration. I know someone who's parents had "lower-ish" income level (maybe 40k in early 90s), but owned a home (which they bought cheap in the 70s, and exploded in value based on location). ND told them no need based assistance because 2nd mortgage (or I guess new mortgage) was an avenue they could pursue.

Doubt that is correct
by Nigeltufnel  (2016-10-04 04:42:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you saying that a football player coming from a family making less than $50k can come to ND on a need based scholarship and not count against the 85? If that were the case and given the demographics of who plays football these days there would for all practical purposes be no limit of scholarships for a college football team.

Yes, but only if not in any way related to athletics
by SavageDragon  (2016-10-04 12:48:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thus no official visit, limited contact and scouting, no admissions factor, etc. And once on-campus their benefits like the training table and medical coverage would be limited.

It doesn't really seem to be an issue with lacrosse,
by Tex Francisco  (2016-10-03 23:53:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

presumably due to the demographics of the kids that play the sport. About half the top programs are elite universities similar to ND. I also don't think it's all that much of an issue in hockey because hockey has high scholarship limits. It seems like it could be somewhat of an issue in soccer, especially mens soccer which has lower scholarship limits, but private schools seem pretty well represented in the top 25. I again think this speaks to the demographics of who plays soccer in this country, although I suspect that's changing rapidly.

I suspect it hurts the most in baseball and track.