Alexi Lalas blasts USMNT as "soft, tattooed millionaires"
by wiNDycityfan (2017-09-14 12:57:04)
Edited on 2017-09-14 13:42:41

Goddamn. I can take Lalas in very small dosage, and I don't quite know to feel about calling out player by player, but I kinda like it. I kinda like it because I think he's looking to light a fire, and I kinda like it because it's about time someone said something.

However, the biggest issue I see is nothing to do with what Lalas said, and everything to do with the state of the squad, and it starts and ends with MLS. Much like Jurgen's main concern, these players are mostly coasting in that league. Maybe not a coincidence why the best performers are players still playing in Europe.

Have at it.

"Tim Howard. Tim, the Belgium game ended three years ago. We need you to save the ball now."

"Geoff Cameron. Clean it up, or let's get someone who will."

"Clint Dempsey. Yeah, you're a national team legend; now we need you to be a national team leader."

"Michael Bradley. The U.S. does not need you to be zen, the U.S. needs you to play better."

"Jozy Altidore. Is this really as good as it gets? Because it's still not good enough."

"Bruce Arena. Jurgen Klinsmann lost at home to Mexico. You lost at home to Costa Rica. This is now all on you, not Jurgen".

"And, oh, by the way, to all the guys that I didn't mention, it's because you don't even warrant a mention. That includes you too, Wonder Boy."

Replies: