New international rankings are out
by wcnitz (2017-09-14 09:13:28)
Edited on 2017-09-14 09:14:57

Germany (correctly) moves ahead of Brazil.

1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Portugal
4. Argentina
5. Belgium
6. Poland
7. Switzerland (too high)
8. France
9. Chile
10. Colombia

Other notables:
14. Mexico
15. England
21. Costa Rica (should be flipped with Mexico)
22. Iceland (ICELAND!)
28. USA! USA! USA!
29. Netherlands

Yes, the Netherlands have fallen that far. Yikes. And they're UP 7 spots. Crazy.

Agreed; love seeing Iceland, and Poland has crept up too
by Irish2003  (2017-09-15 17:10:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's kinda nuts that I can draw a 5 mile radius from where I am typing and encompass a population larger than Iceland's, but they somehow managed to knock out a (former? As you alluded, I too have no idea what the heck happened) Tier 1 team in Netherlands during Euro qualifying, outdid the eventual tournament champ in the group stage, and beat the inventor of the game & the richest league in the 16's before finally falling to a very talented host nation. Other than the Haka, they have one of the best fan chants I've seen too, and if we could only swap out Crazy Train for theirs. ..
It's technically on the women's side, but nice Iceland-ND tie with our own "Gunna" as well.

On the rest:
-Germany: They just won the Confederations Cup with something akin to an U-23 or B team, and their blend of talent, experience, & youth is downright scary. I don't know how they keep on churning out talent like they do, and am still kinda pissed Klinsmann (IMO Jogi was the tactical brains) couldn't help kick USSF in the rear to at least start on that path even if we'll never match them.
-Brazil: Good to see them back after the WC mess, and they have taken care of business very well in qualifying
-Portugal: As a Madrid/CR7 fan, pleasant surprise to see them sticking around, but I'll take it
-Argentina: I'm still at a loss how a team with Messi, Dybala, Dimaria, Higauin, and Aguero currently lags Peru and would as of today play Syria/Australia just to make the tournament. These guys should be like the Golden State Warriors, and they're one of my WTF ones after Netherlands.
-Poland: They were somewhere in the 70s not long ago, but did well at the Euro, are taking care of business for WC qualifying, and have some nice talent.
-Switzerland: The Wisconsin of soccer? Bland, don't make mistakes, end up ranked highly, but don't have the eye test of a Germany or France
-France/Spain: Both are loaded now, but IMO 2022 will be their time to shine
-USA: I had a similar feeling last Saturday watching ND, ugh.

Other other notables
by Irish Tool  (2017-09-14 11:41:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

34 Ireland
60 Panama
61 Jamaica
74 Honduras

How about Northern Ireland at 20?
by 3rdst  (2017-09-14 12:42:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems entirely over-inflated, but they have managed results.