Thoughts...
by wiNDycityfan (2017-09-06 00:59:56)

In reply to: Updated CONCACAF standings and final two Hexagonal dates...  posted by wiNDycityfan

USMNT, with as poor a showing they've had in the last two games, appears to be in a somewhat favorable position to at least get into the 4th place playoff, mainly because Honduras has the toughest last two games left. In fact, I'm going to go as far as saying it'll be Mexico's turn to return the favor, and help the US get through the Hex, by eliminating Honduras on October 10.

That's all fine and dandy until you realize the 4th place playoff is with Asia, as opposed to perennial punching bag Oceania. Meaning, it'll probably be Australia (vs Syria in Asia's playoff) which is probably tougher than anybody in CONCACAF, perhaps even Mexico.

All that said, next date vs Panama in Orlando will be the most crucial game yet. Panama is no gimme, and is also coming off a high 3-0 win against Trinidad. I still think it's all in the hands of the USMNT, but they've picked a really bad time to regress.

So this is what it has come down to. It'll all be decided in 31 days. Let's hope the squad gets back to full strength and regroups. They have to beat Panama at home, then go on the road and secure at least a tie with Trinidad if they want to secure their pass to Russia. Anything less than that and I think it'll be all over.

Replies: