Some random spewing on UEFA WC qualifying
by wcnitz (2017-09-04 18:53:53)

France: Immensely deep and talented. Not sure the cohesion is there at this point. Are they more talented than any other international side? Probably. But I've watched them 4 or 5 times in qualifying and tactically they don't seem to be on the same page. 5-2-1 in qualifying and weren't listless against Luxembourg - but they were selfish and a little disorganized. There are a lot of individuals in that squad right now.

Netherlands: Sad face. Robben deserves better. Van Persie does not, though.

Switzerland/Portugal: I hope Switzerland can pull off a draw in Portugal in October and get the auto bid out of that group.

Germany: Didn't wrap up the automatic bid today, but they are perfect in qualifying (like Switzerland) and I'm pretty sure their GD is over 30. If Timo Werner continues to do well at striker I'd still put Germany as a bigger favorite next year than Brazil/Spain/France/Belgium.

Poland: Good enough to get the automatic bid most likely, but hard to see how they are good enough to get into the quarters next year.

England: Rinse and repeat.

Spain: They'll be a bigger factor in 5 years than in 1.

Belgium: Previously had issues to France but on a smaller scale, though they look much more solid now. Looks like they have players hitting career peaks at the right time, too. I think their depth could be a problem next year. Lose a Lukaku or Vertonghen and they have issues.

Replies: