Some random spewing on UEFA WC qualifying
by wcnitz (2017-09-04 18:53:53)

France: Immensely deep and talented. Not sure the cohesion is there at this point. Are they more talented than any other international side? Probably. But I've watched them 4 or 5 times in qualifying and tactically they don't seem to be on the same page. 5-2-1 in qualifying and weren't listless against Luxembourg - but they were selfish and a little disorganized. There are a lot of individuals in that squad right now.

Netherlands: Sad face. Robben deserves better. Van Persie does not, though.

Switzerland/Portugal: I hope Switzerland can pull off a draw in Portugal in October and get the auto bid out of that group.

Germany: Didn't wrap up the automatic bid today, but they are perfect in qualifying (like Switzerland) and I'm pretty sure their GD is over 30. If Timo Werner continues to do well at striker I'd still put Germany as a bigger favorite next year than Brazil/Spain/France/Belgium.

Poland: Good enough to get the automatic bid most likely, but hard to see how they are good enough to get into the quarters next year.

England: Rinse and repeat.

Spain: They'll be a bigger factor in 5 years than in 1.

Belgium: Previously had issues to France but on a smaller scale, though they look much more solid now. Looks like they have players hitting career peaks at the right time, too. I think their depth could be a problem next year. Lose a Lukaku or Vertonghen and they have issues.

For a major footballing country
by mitquinn  (2017-09-05 11:23:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

England's midfield is downright dreadful. I expect them to squeak out of group play on thin margins.

Replies...
by iudomer  (2017-09-05 09:33:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

France: collection of talent, bad coaching putting all together. The talent is legit, just not a team.
Dutch: Hup Holland, hope Robben gets one last shot but unlikely.
Swiss: in the top 6 FIFA rankings still makes me laugh
Portugal: As goes Ronaldo
Germans: fantastic when Loew doesn't tinker with formations, they were clinical yesterday and lifeless vs. Czechs on Friday. Guess which day Loew tinkered? 35-2 GD, filthy.
Poland: Lewa got screwed by the refs on his free kick, where the hell is goal-line tech?
English: France Jr in talent/coaching/team concept
Spain: punchers chance at WC Finals, like you say in 5 years better.
Belgium: Until they play better teams, I can't say they've become more a team than talent.

Lewandowski's non-goal is a UEFA embarrassment.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-09-05 13:03:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When a dumb viewer like me can watch a replay in real-time filmed at least from mid-field and I can see that the ball *cleared the line*, that is inexcusable.

They don't require it for international play
by wcnitz  (2017-09-05 13:04:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because they won't foot the cost of adding the technology to the host stadium.

Yep.

NFL > UEFA. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2017-09-05 14:34:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree
by wcnitz  (2017-09-05 09:49:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think England's downfall will be Southgate sticking with Joe Hart. He's a cheap suit under pressure. They'd be better off with Butland or even Foster for Russia. He's not going to change, though.

As for Lewy, since he's changed his free kick run up to that odd hitched tippy toe approach, he's become the best at scoring FKs in the world IMO. The accuracy is stunning.