Indeed.
by tex29 (2017-09-01 10:34:59)
Edited on 2017-09-01 10:57:28

In reply to: I couldn't imagine a more Phyrric victory for Arsenal.  posted by CuzTeahan

I'm generally sympathetic to a club wanting a player to honor a contract. And I'm also sympathetic to a club not wanting to sell to a rival. But when you are offered £60 million for a player who doesn't want to be there, has made it clear he will only agree to a move to your rival, is toxic in your dressing room, and who is out of contract in under a year, you take it.

If Arsenal wanted to refuse to sell to City, that's fine. But if you say that, you have to mean it (see, e.g. Coutinho). If you are ultimately going to cave, you had better damn well have done your due diligence on a replacement. To drag it out, capitulate to an agreement, then back out because you never bothered to check whether your replacement target wanted to come to your club (who, in turn, publicly turned you down, citing your failure to qualify for CL) is the height of incompetence.

I'm truly astonished by the Sanchez saga. And not because I'm a bitter City fan. I suppose I want Sanchez because Pep wants him. But I'm not crushed to see the deal fall through. I just can't believe what a cluster that whole deal became.

Replies: